Skip to main content

I was wondering if it was possible on the Magic 260 to use DMX dimmer packs on any of the DMX channels that are not the AUX designated channels and if the AUX channels could be programmed into other DMX scenes.

Also, how much spacing is in between the 1-24 buttons? Could you fit board tape in there or would you have to cut it in half?

Thanks!
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Yes, you can control dimmer packs with scene buttons on the M260. I've only worked with the Elation DP-415, but I'd bet all DPs work the same way in this respect.

The DP-415 has four channels, one for each of the four power outlets. As you probably already know, if you connect your dimmer pack to the M260 and set it to "listen" on channel 261, when you press AUX 1 on the M260 outlet 1 on the DP will turn on. If you press the AUX 2 button, outlet 2 will come on, and so on.

In the above situation all the AUX 1 button on the M260 is doing is sending a FULL ON (127) DMX signal out on channel 261. When the AUX 1 button is pressed again, it sends a FULL OFF (0) DMX signal on channel 261.

Rather FULL ON and FULL OFF signals, the Scene Buttons can send the full range of DMX signals (0-127)on any channel.

So: Assign a 4 channel fixture to one of the Scene buttons. Note the first channel number for that fixture set by the M260. Set the DMX channel on the DP to receive on the same channel.

Now when that 4 channel fixture is selected for editing, the first knob on the M260 will control how bright or dim the outlet 1 on the DP will be, and the second knob controls the intensity of outlet2, etc.
newchurchncAVguy

Not sure what you want to know.

Assuming you are using a M260 to control more than one dimmer pack, dimming some or all of the lights connected to the dimmer pack on the fly would be a big hassle. You can set any of the four lights connected to the M260 to whatever level you want, but they will stay at that level until you select a different scene with different settings for those lights.

Unless you select the dimmer pack fixture while the scene is playing and manually rotate the knob for each light (to dim them), they will remain static.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.