Skip to main content

I have recently acquired a SS-24. Upon powering it up and trying to use it I am getting no DMX output from the board itself. I've hooked it upto a dimmer pack and shows when it has DMX signal received and it does not show anything. When the dimmer pack it hooked upto another board it works just fine (thus eliminating a bad dimmer pack). I am curious as to why the SS-24 may no have any DMX output.

The previous user had the wrong power supply in the case. We've changed it out to a 12v 800ma supply. Is this a potential problem? User manual says to use a 12v 500ma; however on the board itself it says 500ma minimal. Would this be the cause of no DMX output?

Is there a way to do a master reset on the board? Maybe the board it setup for MIDI output instead of DMX (don't know if this is even possible)?

Anyone have any other idea's? This board was donated to us by a local production company for our new church and they stated it was a backup board for them and has seen very little use. He did state that it worked fine last time they had it out.

Appreciate any help! Thanks!
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Well, the power supply could be bad but that doesn't seem like the issue. What do you have plugged into it? What DMX address is it on? Also, have you checked to make sure that the DMX cables are good? That could also be one of the problems. Lastly, if it is the controller, you are more than welcome to send the unit back to us and we can take a look at it. Thanks.
Joel,

Thanks for the reply!

As far as the power goes the board powers up and seems to function just fine. I've looked around for a 500ma unit and do not have one. I could pick one up but unless you think that is the issue I wasn't going to spend the money on it.

I'm 99.9% sure that the cable is good. It's a DMX cable and when the SS-24 is swapped out for a Elation SDC-6 it all works fine.

The dimmer pack is a Elation DP-DMX20L. Set on channel 1. The indicator light that says "DMX Signal" never turns on when the SS-24 is hooked up; it does however with the Elation SDC-6.

I haven't yet hooked the SS-24 to a intelligent light, I may try that to see if it receives any DMX signal.

Do you have any idea's why it may not be outputting a DMX signal besides a malfunction of the board itself? I am not versed in this board so am not sure if I am not doing something correctly. My experience with those dimmer packs however as soon as they are plugged in and the board is turned on the indicator light shows. I am using a DMX specific cable, maybe the polarity is reversed?

Any idea of cost we'd be looking at to send it back and have you guys look at it? We are a new church and don't have a ton of funds available for things like this (though I wish we did!).

Thanks in advance for your time!

-Adam

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.