Skip to main content

Hello,

I have a Platinum 5r Beam, it has one heck of a hotspot making the light unusable, except for dark colors.

Is there a hotspot adjustment like there is for HTI150 bulbs? There's 4 screws that hold the bulb in place but I don't they they are meant to be adjustment screws.

OR is it the bulb?

Attached is a picture.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • Capture
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Hi!!
You know, I have. Just this weekend. I removed the blower and ducting (if you will) that holds some sort of lense, it looks fine. I look through the optics with my eyeball and it looks fine.

I shine a light from a flashlight in where the lamp goes and project the 'image' on the wall. I can get it to look OK, but a slight movement of the flashlight makes it look bad (duh).

I got to think another bad bulb, but both bulbs project the same exact image (or problem). Hard to believe a blemish is the same on both bulbs?

This is my first/only 5r. It has come a long way, this is the last remaining issue.

Anyone in San Diego area reading this wanna meet up and do some part / bulb swap testing? I'll buy the beer.
Eddie, actually looking at your picture, you aren't trying to use these beam fixtures as a projection are you? The platinum beam 5R is an amazing aerial performer, the actual gobo output and image itself may not look good or crisp, but when in the air with fog or haze, it looks great!

but if you look at the gobo on a wall and from even 40-50 feet away there will always be a hotspot from the gobo. you can try the frost filter to enable a softer looks to the beam but this will never clear up completely due to the optical design and its intended use on this beam fixture.
Make sense?
Hi Eddie, regarding the Platinum "Beam" 5r. This fixture naturally has a hotspot. It is not intended to have a flat field as it is also not intended to work as a "Spot" fixture on a stage. The intention of this light is to produce a sharp "Beam" of light at 200 feet away.
Using the fixtures frost filter, you can open up the beam and get a great wash out of it. as a wash this frost filter eliminates the very tight hot spot.. but if you are using to project gobos.. the hot spot will always be there... and this is the case will all beam fixtures. Hope this helps.. If you are looking for a flat field on a gobo projector, consider the Platinum "Spot" 5r.
quote:
Originally posted by Jingles:
Eddie, actually looking at your picture, you aren't trying to use these beam fixtures as a projection are you? The platinum beam 5R is an amazing aerial performer, the actual gobo output and image itself may not look good or crisp, but when in the air with fog or haze, it looks great!

but if you look at the gobo on a wall and from even 40-50 feet away there will always be a hotspot from the gobo. you can try the frost filter to enable a softer looks to the beam but this will never clear up completely due to the optical design and its intended use on this beam fixture.
Make sense?

Totally makes sense. I could not find the projection distance in the manual. I unfortunately do not have 40 feet (maybe I do; still not enough) of test room to try it out on. These lights come with 11 different Gobos, too (which I don't have). Just not sure why they bother if you need 41+ feet.

I really wish I had one to compare it against. I'm will to make the hike up there, meet some people, too.
Let's do it.
quote:
Originally posted by Elation_Pro:
Hi Eddie, regarding the Platinum "Beam" 5r. This fixture naturally has a hotspot. It is not intended to have a flat field as it is also not intended to work as a "Spot" fixture on a stage. The intention of this light is to produce a sharp "Beam" of light at 200 feet away.
Using the fixtures frost filter, you can open up the beam and get a great wash out of it. as a wash this frost filter eliminates the very tight hot spot.. but if you are using to project gobos.. the hot spot will always be there... and this is the case will all beam fixtures. Hope this helps.. If you are looking for a flat field on a gobo projector, consider the Platinum "Spot" 5r.

200 feet away, no we're talking!!! The gobos are so tiny. How in the heck.....

Why gobos at all?

Let's get together and compare.

Thank you all.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.