Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Flickers could be from a few different things.

Some fixtures that have electrical dimmers can cause the lamp itself to flicker if there is something wrong with it.

Higher end fixtures, like the Design Spot, have mechanical dimmers that close flags in front of the optical path (or shutters as they are also called).

So, possibly either the DS has a loose lamp socket (or related component), or the mechanical shutter is twitching or something.

A closer examination of the fixture could perhaps tell you more about what exactly is flickering. It could either be the lamp itself or something passing in front of the optical path (shutter or effects wheel).

If the lamps are flickering, I'd get them fixed ASAP, because you don't want to the lamps to fail from repeated 'hot strikes'. While any problem is serious, that would probably be the most serious of them all.

While it does kind of seem like an afterthought, is the power for the fixtures secured and adequate? If there is a voltage drop, I'd suspect the lamps to not like it much at all. Just an idea to try and help you out...

Regardless, I'd recommend calling into the office to have a chat with them about the issues, especially since multiple fixtures are displaying the same symptom.
We have 2 Design Spot 575E WH fixtures and 1 Design Spot 250 fixtures installed in our church. All Three are on the same dedicated circuit. They have been operating for approximately 1 year, Sunday Mornings & Wednesday Nights, without any issues.

Approximately 3 weeks ago the Design Spot 575E WH fixtures started flickering.

They flicker in an intermittent fashion.

Each fixture flickers independently of the other (the left fixture flickers and the right does not , the right fixture flickers and the left doesn't) which leads me to think that it is not a line, voltage or supply issue.

The Design Spot 275 is behaving flawlessly.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks You

Joe Pamer
Have you tried testing the voltage on the circuit? It might be a voltage drop causing this.

Also, how much have you used the lights in the year? It is possible that the lamps are getting old and need to be replaced. A voltage drop with old lamps would cause more flicker, since the arc distance is greater as lamps age. This means the lights need more voltage to sustain the arc.

It is likewise possible the lamps are just old and time to replace them.
MORE INFORMATION ON FLICKERING PROBLEM

I have just checked both fixtures.
Fixture 1, Lamp run time 370 hours Total run time 1048 hours
Fixture 2, Lamp run time 372 hours, Total run time 1110 hours.

Information in manual stated that life for Phillips Gold MSR 575 SA/2 DE bulb should be 750 hours. WE ARE AT HALF OF THE LAMP LIFE.

I have measured the line supply voltage with a FLUKE 189 true RMS multimeter. It has the capability to record and log "fast min max voltages. Over an 8 hour period the voltage has ranged from 116.56 to 124.15 volts ac.

Any help greatly appreciated as this fixtures are UNUASABLE in their current condition.

Joe Pamer

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.