Skip to main content

Design Spot 250 LED is getting a gobo wheel 1 Rotation error. the gobo wheel spins nonstop.

The magnets look fine

Design Spot 250 Original - I just bought this used for parts but now I'm thinking why not fix it. The casing is very sticky, so I am assuming it came from an install. What do I use to clean this. have tried soap and water and goo gone spray gel - on plug in just the two fans come on and nothing else. All four fuses look good and the stationary gobo wheel is locked. Display is blank. Where do I begin? I know the motor for the stationary gobo wheel needs to be replaced, but where do I begin to diagnose the other problems. Where do I buy the stepper motor for the Gobo wheel?

Power Spot 700 - Display only shows zero and each button funtion name is lit. Pushing the buttons has no effect. The head does not move (there is resistance on the rotation but non on the tilt). inside the head, I see all the motors working. Currently it has no bulb, which I am about to order. Help!

I only have one Power spot and one DS250 LED, but I have 5 DS250.
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

If the magnet looks fine check the spacing between the magnet and the sensor.
if the gap is too wide this may be the issue. also check continuity on the harness
as well. if all looks good i would suggest the sensor first.

regarding the casing, most likely the previous owner may have used some sort
of ammonia based cleaner and tarnished the finish on those cover. you can either
replace or sand and paint.

with respects to the gobo wheel locked.. if it doesn't spin then the stepper motor
is probably frozen. also if all fuses are good then check power going to the main
pcb.. are you sure this unit was soaked?

regarding the Ps700 sounds like a main pcb and possibly the display as well but
check power going to the main pcb first.
Hi and thanks for the fast resonse.

No, I never said the unit was soaked. Just that the outside is so sticky, that it must have been used in a install situation with a lot of oil based fogger for something.

Is it possible to get a copy of the service manuals for both the 700 and the 250.

While I do have meters to check for continuity and power, I would love to have some picture to know where exactly I should be checking.

Before I dismantle the 250 to remove the stepper, i would like to order the replacement. What is the model number of the stepper I should order and secondly is there another supplier I could buy from, because your steppers seem to be priced at $92, which is very steep.
Having looked at the service manual and having tried a little to dismantle the DS250, I am having difficulty.

The Service manual has diagrams without the harness. How exactly is that supposed to help, I don't know?

I have successfully completely dismantled, fixed and re-assembled three High end System studio spots without any service manual or help of any kind.

I think I just need a little guidance to take off only the minimum to get to the rotating gobo wheel stepper motor. Your advice would be greatly appreciated.
quote:
Having looked at the service manual and having tried a little to dismantle the DS250, I am having difficulty.

The Service manual has diagrams without the harness. How exactly is that supposed to help, I don't know?

I have successfully completely dismantled, fixed and re-assembled three High end System studio spots without any service manual or help of any kind.

I think I just need a little guidance to take off only the minimum to get to the rotating gobo wheel stepper motor. Your advice would be greatly appreciated.

I have removed the lens plate and the second plate that has the prism.

Its is the next (third) plate that I need to remove to get to the stationary gobo wheel motor, but there are just too many harnesses going all over the place. I have removed the 8 screws needed to remove this plate but nothing moves because of all the wiring.

Any easy way around this? Any help would be appreciated!
Last edited by atlantadj
quote:
Originally posted by Atlanta DJ:
quote:

I have removed the lens plate and the second plate that has the prism.

Its is the next (third) plate that I need to remove to get to the stationary gobo wheel motor, but there are just too many harnesses going all over the place. I have removed the 8 screws needed to remove this plate but nothing moves because of all the wiring.

Any easy way around this? Any help would be appreciated!

Ok, No answer, but I have gotten beyond this.

Next, where do I check for power as the unit does nothing when plugged in, just the two fans come on and nothing else. All four fuses look good

Can you tell me exactly where I need to check for this issue! the display does not light either.
quote:
Originally posted by service g:
check to see if you have input power at the main pcb if you do then at that point i would strongly suggest replacing the main pcb.

On the base of the unit, on the circuit board, I see two red cables, next to two blue and then two green and lastly the is a red and green next to each other. is it this last two I need to check?

Do you have any youtube videos on this?
Switched out the main PCb Board and the unit now functions.

getting error 1 & 8 (Pan and stationary gobo wheel).

The gobo wheels seems to struggle to get to where it wants to. Self test does not rally work and when not in the open position, it seems to stutter.

The pan during startup works but makes a grinding noise when it gets to the end of the turn and stays there for a while. During macros, it does not pan.
have been working with Francisco on the DS250.

The Pan issue has been corrected.

For the stationary Gobo Wheel issue, which twiches here is a recap of what has been done:

Checked continuity on the sensor harness - OK
Switched the sensor from a working unit - No change
Switched the IC on arm from working unit - No change
Swithched the arm PCB board - No Change

What should I try or test next?

Francisco had mentioned the voltage thru the harness may not be high enough. Where and how should I test this?

Kindly advise.
There was a question in the last post and an answer would be greatly appreciated.

Additional questions:

I also don't have a packing case for the DS LED or the PS700. Do you have any suggestions on how best to pack these units.

The one bad PCB main board for the DS250, should I mail that in to be fixed? Francisco did not give me a straight answer, only stating that they are no longer made. I know he is out of the country this week.

Thanks!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.