Skip to main content

One of my Design Spot 250s suddenly developed multiple issues. 2 weeks ago it was working great, then setup my rig last week and all of a sudden it doesn't work properly.

When powered on, the fixture will do its self test. However, the tilt will only go thru about 1/4 of its travel, the pan sits there and makes a grinding noise then goes thru full rotation. After selftest, I have no error codes. The prism and gobo2 wheel also do not work. With the fixture powered on, I can freely move the prism and gobo2 wheel as if they don't have any power. The fixture also will not respond to DMX. The display is NOT flashing, so it should be getting a signal.

I've tried everything I can think of: cleaned and adjusted all related sensors, checked resistance of all relevant sensor and motor wiring harnesses(checked OK), and swapped main circuit boards from a known good fixture.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I tried a little experiment. Took one of my good fixtures and set it next to the bad one. Addressed both fixtures to 1, plugged the tilt motor harness and sensor harness from the good fixture into the bad one, using the good fixture to drive the just the tilt on the bad one and the tilt worked correctly. To me, this confirms that my motor and sensors are fine and led me to swap PCBs.

However, if I actually pull the PCB from the same fixture and put it in the bad one, it does not work.
I'm having similar issues with one of my 250 Pros, except the tilt doesn't move at all. I opened up the head case and the only thing that moves on motor reset is the color wheel. I get errors for Pan, Tilt, Gobo 1, Gobo 2, Gobo Rot. It's also interesting that the fan doesn't turn on either.

I think that we may have the same issue and it's a doozy: the main PCB in the base of the unit. It's expensive and difficult to remove.

Gines or any tech on here, do you have any thoughts?

Thanks!
quote:
Originally posted by WehoClub:
I'm having similar issues with one of my 250 Pros, except the tilt doesn't move at all. I opened up the head case and the only thing that moves on motor reset is the color wheel. I get errors for Pan, Tilt, Gobo 1, Gobo 2, Gobo Rot. It's also interesting that the fan doesn't turn on either.

I made the mistake of plugging in the fixture and not unlocking the tilt. I believed this caused the problem.
I had the same issue pan & tilt, cooling fans, and some gobo wheels didn't work. Check fuses (there are 3) on the pc board in the base of the unit (behind the digital read out) Its a 6.3 amp 250 volt. Mine was blown I put a new fuse in it and a capacitor blew in the upper case PC board that has a heavy black blue & red wires and 10 or more mini plugs going to it . They are two of them 2200uf 35vdc 115 c Size is 15.60mm x 28.46mm I replaced the 2 of them and my fixture is working normal.

I think that we may have the same issue and it's a doozy: the main PCB in the base of the unit. It's expensive and difficult to remove.

Gines or any tech on here, do you have any thoughts?

Thanks!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.