Skip to main content

Hello, I'm looking for a guru type and hope that someone here might advise. I'm just starting out, diving into the DMX lighting part first, because I think it's more important and interesting, then will add the DJ part. I have about 20 fixtures so far and growing, mostly ADJ. Started out with 8 Inno Pocket fixtures but I'm moving up to the Vizi line as my bidget allows. My dilemma right now is MYDMX 3.0 vs Compu Show SDE. I bought MYDMX 3.0 and have been working with it, picking up tips and tricks, not bad. I'm not unhappy with it. But, when I saw the 2017 Winter ADJ Showroom design Edgar Gonzalez put together with Compu Show, well I totally fell in love. Awesome job Edgar.

What I think I'm missing from MYDMX is a timeline view, where I can put my music, waveform style, in one track and my DMX scenes in other multiple synchronous tracks and line them up for a perfectly timed, musical light show. I understand this is one of the key features of Compu Show. But, Compu Show seems old, MYDMX 3.0 is new and seems like it's got new life, or at least a big change, now being tied in with Nicolaudie, basically Daslight 4, (not sure if that is good/bad?). I plan on adding a midicon 2 down the road, so I am pretty serious. I don't want to limit myself with MYDMX if it's not going to be full featured enough or get stuck with Compu Show if it's too labor intensive and/or not being actively developed as much any more. Then there's Compu Live and Emulation, a bit confusing right now.

I have no problems spending the extra $$ for Compu Show SDE. While I'm still within the return period for MYDMX 3.0, would anyone care to provide some feedback? If it was you, which one would you invest in? I intend to be a lighting guy first, who is also a DJ second, if that makes any sense.

I'm very technical, been working in IT for about 25 years, so the networking and programming aspects come easy for me. I do like the Fx generators in MYDMX 3.0, not sure if there is more or less of that with Compu Show. I really would like some sort of a timeline interface, basically build the light show alongside the DJ sound work.

I'm brand new to the forum, been up all night playing with MYDMX, apologies if I rambled. I would be honored to receive any advice at all. To be fair, I did ask the same of James Jingles and Edgar Gonzalez via YouTube Message, but I know they're super busy. I've been researching about 20 different products for months now and I just feel like I don't have my finger on the pulse. Does anyone?

Thanks a lot guys and gals. Much appreciated.

Best,

Stephen Olah
DJ HaloDex
Aura Light & Sound
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.