Skip to main content

I'm looking hard at a Show designer one but have a few questions. I need to operate the SD1 completely with a MIDI foot board. It looks like from what I've read you can load a chase into a scene. Q1, I assume the loaded chase will start running when the scene is selected? Will it run along with the audio trigger in the scene? Will it NOT run along with the music if the chase speed is locked when selected VIA the scene? If my assumptions are correct I should be able to select scene 1 running chase 1 with a MIDI pedal board and if it’s not speed locked it should run along with the audio? If say Scene 2 contains chase 2 and its locked it should run at the locked speed even with the audio on? Thank you for your help. I’ve spent countless hours researching and my brain is fried. I’m hoping your product works for me
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

You ask whether SD1's chases (many Elation controllers, including the SD1, call them "Shows") should "run along with the audio." That depends on what you mean.

You can trigger Shows with midi notes sent to the SD1's midi channel. Shows are a sequence of lighting "Scenes." When you program Shows you can specify how long Scenes will hold until the next scene starts. Trying to match the length of a Scene to the length of measure count would be near impossible unless the band is playing to a click track or backing sequence.

If by "run along with the audio" you are wanting to trigger it once and then have the SD1 hold one Show durning the intro; go to another Show during the verse; and change to another Show for the Chorus, etc. That would be very hard, if not impossible to do.

You can override the hold time of the Show by using the "Beat" button or putting the SD1 into into audio mode.

The only way to use the Beat button itself is to tap it to the beat. Unless the band is playing to a click track, the band isn't likely to stay on the tapped tempo very long - so it will be running close to along with the beat, but it will be off.

You can plug an audio source into the SD1 and it will change Scenes within a Show when it detects a beat from the music. That will cause the lights to change with the beat a high percentage of the time, but it will skip beats from time to time - so don't expect it to be able to change with Intro, Verse, etc.

If you are using a backing midi track, you could have the sequencer send midi notes to the SD1 and have any Show triggered anywhere you wanted during the song. I don't know whether you can use the foot controller to trigger the start of the sequencer.

If you only have a midi click track, I don't know whether the tempo signal will work when you are in "Beat" Button mode or not.

BTW: Most foot controllers can send out only 128 different notes on one channel. An SD1 is capable of over 1000 shows. I'm not aware of a foot controller that can fully use the capabilities of the SD1.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.