Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

When you select a scene, the SD2 sends a MIDI command out the MIDI out connector. You can record that. When you play what you recorded back into the MIDI in, the same scene will be called.

From the manual:
Show Designer 2 allows you to use MIDI to call scenes using a MIDI sequencer so that you can synchronize lighting to a MIDI performance. The scene page and number is encoded in a MIDI message that is sent to the Show Designer’s MIDI output when a scene is selected using the number switches or the “go” switch. The “black” switch also sends a MIDI message allowing you to record a blackout or blackout restore. When that same MIDI message is returned to the MIDI input, that scene will be called. Since the Show Designer 2 uses its own type of MIDI message to record scene changes it is recommended that you use the Show Designer 2 to record the performance.
Hi John,

Thanks for the reply! Yes, I knew that the SD2 send midi message out for scenes, black or go, but Do you have by a chance those values? I've read some stuff about SD1, but found nothing about SD2 midi values etc... I don't have here any midi analyser or something like that... So if you have anything that could help me, it would be very appreciated!!!

Thanks
Vincent
Hi Vince.. I'm working on more info for you.. here is what I have now.
Let me know if it makes any sense?

The Show Designer 2 uses MIDI continuous controller messages to send and receive scene changes and blackouts.

The message format for scene changes is as follows:

0Bxh pp nn, where x is the MIDI channel (0-15 decimal), pp is the scene page (0-98 decimal) and nn is the scene number (0-47 decimal).

The message format for blackouts is as follows:

0Bxh nn vv, where x is the MIDI channel (0-15 decimal), nn equals 99 decimal and vv is non zero for blackout on and zero for blackout off.
Thanks John...

well it seems to be quite complicated!!! Here is my situation :
We are a band, and I'm the bass player in it. I want to create scenes and shows that will run for every song. I have to be able to trigger to "go" button to have the next step in the show as the song continue.... I want to call the black button also... It's pretty much want I want to do...

Do you know if there is any other solution with SD2, or you can suggest other controller/footswitch???

I will try to configure the pedal to send thos message... but I think it's gonna be painful!!!!

Thanks
Vincent
Hi John,

Thanks for all your support!!!

So you say that with that console( At that price...2500$$$) I cannot trigger "go" button to have my shows run... It would be something quite easy to put in your software...

So the only way to have different scenes within a song, is to call thos different scenes with my pedal board. So for me, I will have to play around on my pedal board while playing bass... That's not really good for me!! I tought that I would have to build a show for every songs, and just hit the go button to change scenes as the song go...

Well, I'm a bit dissapointed of the SD2...

Can you tell me if there is any other solution?? I think that maybe the Compu 1024 or 2048 would be good with a Midi I/O module??

Also, just a question... Is it possible for you to have a software patch that enable that "go" button midi assignation??

Thanks
Vincent
Well, its not that it can't, it just can't do it with a simple midi notes.
The SD2 actually send and receives MIDI signals.
So if you were using a software like cake walk you can use the SD2 to transpose MIDI signals on the software, then have the software play them back.
In this instance shows, scenes, go and back work great.
However in the instance of a simple foot pedal or key board, only the scenes are accesable. Shows are not accesable through a midi foot pedal, which would make the "go" button obsolete.
Hi John,

Well, The SD2 is already on it's way back to the store!! Unfortunatly, I think this console is a REALLY good console when you have a body behind it... But for our situation, I really think that the compu 1024 will do the job!! Actually, it's already order in replacement of the SD2... and with the price difference, we bought 2 more scans(intimidator 1) and probably few more par cans...

So prepare yourself as I will have a lot of questions on compu live... I already downloaded it and i've played with it for an hour or two... it's a bit different than thw DMX console...

BTW, do you have good hints on compu live that can save me some time ;-)

Thanks John for all your answers!!! It's really appreciated!!!

Vincent

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.