Skip to main content

Reply to "Crashing...Crashing...Crashing"

OK, let me jump in.

Issue 1: Emulation. No, not Elation's "Emulation" software, but rather emulating a PC on a Mac. Look, it SUCKS. Well, let me take it a step further: Emulating anything on anything else SUCKS. You know, you have BootCamp with your OS. I know you're not happy with Windows. But, why aren't you using Bootcamp and just having SUCCESS? It's one of those things where if you're going to insist on fighting, you're going to lose. Stop losing, start winning for a change. Take a day to install Bootcamp and XP Pro and be done with the whole issue. You can always boot to a Mac whenever you want to, but you do have to boot as a PC to use Compu Live apparently.

2: What the heck is a "normal" Windows laptop? Sorry, been working on computers for 30 years, and there ain't nothing normal about practically anything. But, we'll take your "normal" to mean an Intel or AMD processor based laptop that is NOT a Mac computer and was intended to run a Microsoft operating system on(despite the fact you can run Linux on it if you wanted to).

What is the status of the laptop? Current updates? What OS? All patches installed? Anti-virus software installed, updated, current and scanning daily?

Did you INSTALL Compu on the laptop or just drag the directory over? Yes, it can make a BIG difference.

Also, 512MB of RAM used to be massive, and now thanks to XP and Vista(and now Windows 7), it's small. Oh, how times have changed.

Look, the PC ain't the end-all, be-all platform. Neither is the Mac. I bought a 17" MacBook Pro and I am running MyDMX, not Compu on it. I run BootCamp and am using XP Home and I'm having no problems. No emulation. Straight up booting to XP Home and rocking and rolling. I hear ya. I bought this computer to handle ProTools, but at the time, it didn't run on Mac due to the OSX release and ProTools not getting along, so I installed bootcamp and XP Home and kept on rolling until Digidesign updated ProTools. Even so, now I run this macbook more as a PC than as a Mac mainly due to the higher amount of software investment I have on the PC side(Office, Sony Vegas Pro 9, PhotoShop CS3 Extended, loads of other goodies). It just works out better for me that way. Trust me, I know. The Mac version of ProTools runs CIRCLES around the PC version. And when you can use the same hardware for Mac and PC OS'es, you are doing an "Apples to Apples" comparison, for lack of a better term.

Please, stop fighting a losing battle. Suck it up and get BootCamp on there, boot as a PC and start having success again.

I don't have the funds for Compu or Emulation. Wish I did, I'd try it and get back to you. I'm willing to bet that your laptop is trashed or at least has something hosed up just due to everyday "user" behavior. Without knowing an excruciating amount of detail that I'm never going to get, I can't really help too much more.

It's not fair to bash a product when I'm willing to bet you're not providing an optimum environment on either platform for it to run on.