Skip to main content

Reply to "dxm operator pro"

32 max is pushing it. I generally start having problems with LEDs at 8 fixtures, depending on length of the run and fixtures in question. Dimmers, I daisy chain those things forever and they don't care, and I am talking racks upon racks upon racks. Movers, depends on the brand and length of cable in question. Some days it's 16, others it's 20, sometimes I can only get 6 on before the 7th starts acting up. If your last fixture in line is acting funny, and a terminator isn't helping, chances are you need an opti splitter and to run a separate line to it.

The problem with DMX is it has no error check, so fixtures don't know when they are receiving wrong signals. I can't wait till everything is Ethernet. 64 universes on a CAT 5 cable, who knows how many they can ram down a CAT 6 or even CAT 7 by the time it's mainstream. Plus, Ethernet has error correction, along with status capabilities on it. The fixtures will be able to tell you what is wrong with them via the console, just like you can check on Sensor Racks through ETC Net, or network MA consoles so if one goes down, the other/s pick up where the one left off. The problem with all these goodies, they use a ton of bandwidth, so it has to be on a network all to itself. Meaning no internet, no printers, no computers networking, no faxes, no phones, etc etc.

I for see in the future things like DMX channels going away and opti splitters being replaced with routers. You will just set your lights to whichever number you want, and the console will know exactly which fixture you are talking about when you call it up. My kids will have it easy, just plug and play, no addressing, no channel count issues, no opti splitters and multi-universe patches.