Skip to main content

Reply to "House lighting"

If you're looking to mount lights in a manner where they can be raised and lowered(regardless of the reason, which by the way, yours is a good one), you're looking at motors and motor control. I've never seen the big lighting company I work with get that portion going, but it looks relatively easy. But, then again, what you don't see doesn't mean it isn't hard. Either way, I think you need to do at LEAST 2 motors per element to be raised/lowered. 2 motors ensures STRAIGHT lines. Yes, there may be some swing/sway, but that should resolve itself fairly quickly. You can save money by buying motors rated at slightly above(or way above) what you're planning to hang. I would strongly recommend trussing. You can do one massive truss in front and another in back(nothing wrong with that), or do you do smaller trusses left/right or left/right/center. There's a zillion ways to do things, and what's right or wrong goes with what is right for your purposes.

But, you're going to need to run power up those flown location. LOTS of power(well, maybe not, thanks to LED stuff). Need DMX cabling, or at least a single lead for going up into each flown element. Whatever goes DOWN also has to go UP and you'll want that to be as neat as possible or you'll at a minimum have a big ugly bundle to deal with.

Regardless, unless it's FIXED and permanent, you're going to have motors involved for lifting up and down. Ladders are relatively inexpensive, but not as safe as a lift. Lifts can get quite costly and you still should use safety gear.

Another idea is a catwalk system. You can use it for cable control as well as maintenance.

You're also going to need rigging points, or at least mounting points. You're going to need to bring someone in for that unless you know the load rating on the locations you intend to hang from.

I recommend against bars. Yes, they can work, but if you can find some triangle trussing or have some made from 1.5" aluminum tubing(might be good option), you're good. Trussing is expensive, but worth it. If you think square is too beefy or large, triangle is often a good alternative.

You've got the advantage of having in-house talent to do what needs to be done. That will be a tremendous money savings. MASSIVE!

I like your attitude. You DO want to do it right and this ghetto-mindset crap has got to go.
I do agree that cabling is relatively awkward but not impossible.

I'd say if you can start to use that room again you build for your sound and lighting people, get back to it! Just remove any windows, they need to hear. Don't make a room if you can avoid it, but rather an access controllable area, say, with waste high walls. Enough to say "Hey, if you don't need to be here, then please stay out".