Skip to main content

Reply to "House lighting"

This one is just in regards to software vs. hardware control:

I'm not an expert on the better lighting consoles. They can get quite costly, and it all really depends on what you need to accomplish with it.

I know that computer software for me has been a wonderful way to go. starting with a low-end controller, the ADJ/Elation DMX Operator, while light on the bank account, is perhaps too lite in features you might want. For then a small jump in price(if we compare what I paid for the DMX Operator), I could have gotten ADJ's MyDMX product, but it wasn't available in 2002. Things change.

Now, after 4-5 years with MyDMX, and let me just state that I really love the MyDMX product, I need something MORE. I'm pushing MyDMX past what it was ever meant to be used for in regards to certain shows I'm involved with. Moving to a much MUCH MUCH higher cost sofware package(well, hardware/software, the hardware is just an interface). Still, if I compare the cost of what it would run me to do this via a good lighting desk, well, it's just not economically feasible for me to go the hardware solution.

What's better? Who knows. Dedicated hardware is generally considered to be better, period. Doesn't matter, a dedicated bit of gear with a dedicated hardware platform is always the best way to go. Doesn't matter if it's data comm gear/networking, lighting or audio, dedicated hardware tends to give the best performance.

In this case, dedicated hardware may be a massive learning curve and not easily transferable to a new person without a lot of time and effort. I find with MyDMX, I can tell some DJ(not a slam on DJ's) with no experience wiht lighting software, and have them running pre-made scenes on MyDMX after a 30-second briefing. It's "Be in the USER tab, hit the scene button you like". It's honestly all there is to it.

Now that I'm learning CompuShow, I know I have SUPPORT behind me, but I'm choosing to use as little of it as possible right now to help me learn the software better. Once properly set up, you can probably get someone comfortable with the software in a couple of hours.

I'm a soung guy. I do lights because I have to. I don't have the desire to learn a lighting desk, at least not at this point in time. I work with computers 100+ hours a week, it's what I feel comfortable with. Many other people feel comfortable around computers. It's a natural concept for me. Throw me in front of an analog audio desk and I'm all over it. Digital desks, not so much for now, at least not until I can afford one and will then learn that one inside out.

So, I can only speak about lighting from my own experiences. What I will say is that if you stick with the Elation products, you have a one-vendor solution that can handle pretty much all your needs under one roof with ther various product lines and offerings.