Skip to main content

Reply to "Introduction and basic questions"

Regarding most big shows:

I do see most still using hardware based controllers. There's reasons for that, mostly the operator prefers that, and when you're doing large events, they say "what do you want to use" and then they provide that.

For me, I don't have the time to learn a lighting desk nor do I want the space take up, the weight or the expense.

With shows I do, its more theatrical. Things are marked/spiked. They still miss their marks, but I did my job. If I need better movement, I got meat bags behind the follow spots.

Are controllers better than software? It's debatable. It can also go either way. Compu Show with a control surface such a the MIDICON can offer a lot of power in a good compact package. Still, familiarity with a console controller has its strengths too.

The strength of Compu Show is the 3D portion for off-line design, flexibility of design and initially easier to use. Shorter learning curve, compactness.

One can argue either way. Great consoles are worth the money and the weight. Compu Show is great too.