Skip to main content

Reply to "Magic 260 and FCB1010"

Wow! Thanks, Hobson. You saved my universe (well maybe my DMX universe, he he). What I am trying to do is control a light show while playing drums live. Although using the Behringer FCB0101 pedal is discussed in this forum is an option, it is not a good option for me because my feet are pretty busy. I wanted to control the lights via my Roland TD30K electronic drum head.

Based on the bonehead MIDI chart in the Magic 260 manual, I thought I could only control the first 48 of 1152 scenes and only the first 12 of 264 shows via MIDI using all sixteen MIDI channels. I was also wondering why Elation would waste all that programming capacity by assigning MIDI channel 1, notes 0 through 23 to control only one scene on the Magic 260. It seemed a study in repetitive redundancy over and over again.

My limitation is that Roland allows a drum trigger to be assigned to MIDI, but only one MIDI channel per trigger. We’ll never need more than 72 lighting scenes, although we will use many of the scenes over again throughout our set list.

With the info you’ve shared. I can write a MIDI song using all the lighting cues (scenes) we’ll ever need and arrange the notes in the correct order to call up the scenes from the Magic 260 throughout our set list. I can manually step through our show by just tapping the rim on my Tom 4.