Skip to main content

Reply to "Newbie looking for help/advice"

Yes, what you are describing are what a console would call a scene. A Scene is just a bunch of lights recorded (saved) to look a certain way when you bring up that scene.

So for example, if you made scene 1 nothing but blue lights, when you hit scene 1 the blue lights would come on. If you made scene 2 red lights, the red lights would come on with scene two. If you made scene 3 red and blue lights, both the red and blue lights would come on when scene 3 is up.

A series of scenes is called either a chase, show, or cue list depending on your console. Elation consoles call them shows, so I will use that term. So if I made show 1 step 1 be scene 1 from the example above and show 1 step 2 be scene 2. When you then run show 1, step 1 would blue lights. When you then go to step 2, it would be red lights.

I hope this is too confusing. Another way I can describe it is think of a scene as a page in a picture book. It shows you one scene of that book. The book is a number of pages, or a show. Remember this too, you don't need a book for a page to tell a story, but you do need pages for a book. In lighting terms, don't need a show to have a scene, but you do need scenes for a show.

Now what does the above mean for your choices of a console. Let's look at the DMX Operator Pro. Under the moving light section on Elation's website for it, it says 96 programmable scenes or 96 pages in the case of the book. Then it says 8 programmable shows, or 8 books total.

Anymore questions, feel free to ask. I am sure myself and/or someone else on here will be more then happy to help. I also hope you understand the above, if you need more clarification, let me know and I will try to explain it better.