Skip to main content

Reply to "Platinum Spot"

Ahhh, makes more sense now, just a shorter arc source lamp. Make the point source smaller, make the light brighter.

It would also be interesting to say that this new lamp is more efficient then plasma since they have Luminaire Efficacy Rating great then 90%, while arc lamps are normally around 55%. Since I have no specs on the new lamp, I can't calculate an LER for it, but I am sure it is higher then 55%. Ballasts still kill the efficiency of arc lamps and always will. Plasma likewise keeps its intensity and color temperature as it ages (losses about 10% of its output of life of lamp for Ceravision's new lamp, see below). Plasma tech is also still very young, with current tech actually younger then LEDs (less then 10 years for plasma, about 40 years for LEDs).

Luxim's lamp aren't as good as Ceravision's since they use a ceramic waveguide vs a clear quarz waveguide that Ceravision just invented this year. Specs for there new lamp:

Lamp Life: 20,000 hours
Wattage: 100-5,000
Color Temp: 2,000-12,000 K
CRI: 95
LER: 95%
Hotstrike
Dimming: Down to 20%

For those more interested, plasma basically works by shooting microwaves through a mixture of gas and metal in a glass container. Different gases and metals make different color temperatures and wave length outputs (UV, IR, visible). The magnetron is what generates the microwaves and what causes the lamp to fail when it goes bad. It is possible with current tech that they can last up to 40,000 hours. Basically, life of LEDs with the power of an arc source and ease to change like an arc source and without the narrow wavelength output of LEDs either. Best of all worlds.

Anyway, sorry for the tangent. Can't wait to see this new fixture in action, sounds on the level of another Impression like fixture. Everyone else keeps getting bigger and bigger. Elation seems to be figuring out how to get the smaller stuff to do what the bigger stuff does. Anyone can make stuff more power/more features just by making the fixture larger. Rather nice since bigger isn't always better. Also shows a commitment to design and engineering vs the easy way aka make it bigger.