Skip to main content

Reply to "Scene fade setup on the dmx op pro"

I'm a audio engineer having to do lighting as well.

Moving from a DMX Operator to MyDMX, one of the whines many users had was "there's no blackout button/key", and many users also were offended at having to make a blackout scene. Gee, it is as simple as clicking the "New Scene" button and then setting a fade time, and 1 loop. Wasn't all that difficult.

From an operator's perspective and not knowing a lot about the higher end consoles or other DMX software packages, I would find it the norm for the operator or designer to program a blackout scene. It just makes natural sense to me.

But the DMX Operator Pro is not a high end console, it's in the lower end of the spectrum. It does have a blackout button, but it's also a "snap to blackout" function. One could just as easily reserve Bank 1, Scene 1 to be the blackout scene. This fixture doesn't give you super precise control over transition speed, but using the speed fader, you can at least have some degree of control from "fast to slow", which is often good enough.

The Orignal Poster is definately not quite happy with how the console works and is trying to ask it to do something that it can do, but requires a bit of thinking outside the box. The problem is that when a new user buys a bit of gear, it doesn't occur to them all that they would really want to do with it, especially when their creativity starts to flow. More experienced users would either know this up front and know how to find answers ahead of time because the retail sales guys can't possibly remember all this stuff.

The more experienced guys have usually moved onto better gear, usually out of necessity. For me, moving from my very affordable DMX Operator to equally affordable MyDMX has really helped me out in multiple aspects of lighting. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad I bought the DMX Operator, but within the course of 2009, I've gone from needing it as a fall-back option, to now recently no longer carrying it and relying only on MyDMX.