Skip to main content

Reply to "Using Cycles for Song Cues"

John,
When I say "Chase Cycle", what I mean is I have created a Cycle that contains a series of Scenes or steps (i.e. Red Scene, Blue Scene, Green Scene. etc.) in a certain order. Each step is defined as "GO" (instead of a prescribed time) within the cycle to activate it . As you know, the PAGE DOWN button acts as the "GO" command when working with Cycles. So knowing that, you helped me a while back to link the PAGE DOWN command to a MIDI note/signal through the use of the MIDI controller. This is working great, and now every time the program receives a signal from the snare drum (via an Aux Out on the Mixer ---> to an Alexis Trigger I/O ---> to my computer), it triggers the next step in this "Chase Cycle" to activate. I have no problems with this Cycle. Thanks again for helping me with that.

This "Chase" just refers to a series of Scenes or steps that repeats. There is usually a "rate" associated with Chases, which is driven by the snare trigger in my case. I just call it a "Chase" because that's the terminology I learned lighting control on (via old LMX protocol boards...Lightronics, NSI, etc.). I hope most of that made sense. If not, I'll have to give you a call to discuss.

Assuming it did though, since my "Chase Cycle" is working fine (triggered by the snare), I'd rather not change how it works. What I want to ADD is simply some sort of "Playlist", if you will, for each song. So, I would be able to pull up a separate "playlist" for each song, which contains steps (Scenes, Switches, and Cycles) in the order they need to be activated. I would decide, based on what part of the song the band is at, when these steps are activated (on the fly). Then, I would press a button (not PAGE DOWN though, because that would interfere with my Chase Cycle) to go to each step within this "playlist". So far, the only method I know of to create these "playlists" are through Cycles. This is problem because some of the steps in the "playlist" would be Cycles themselves...hence Cycle within a Cycle. But if there was another way to build these "playlists" (not through Cycles), then I may be able to work around the problem of having a Cycle within a Cycle.

I was thinking Easy Show may be the solution, but I wasn't sure if it was possible to layout these steps, but only have them activated when I tell them to (on the fly), and NOT based on a prescribed time signature. Is this possible, or is there any other method to achieve my goal here?

I honestly can't believe I am the only one with this issue.

Thanks,
Brian