Skip to main content

Reply to "Using Cycles for Song Cues"

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Matchless1:
John,
When I say "Chase Cycle", what I mean is I have created a Cycle that contains a series of Scenes or steps (i.e. Red Scene, Blue Scene, Green Scene. etc.) in a certain order. Each step is defined as "GO" (instead of a prescribed time) within the cycle to activate it . As you know, the PAGE DOWN button acts as the "GO" command when working with Cycles. So knowing that, you helped me a while back to link the PAGE DOWN command to a MIDI note/signal through the use of the MIDI controller. This is working great, and now every time the program receives a signal from the snare drum (via an Aux Out on the Mixer ---> to an Alexis Trigger I/O ---> to my computer), it triggers the next step in this "Chase Cycle" to activate. I have no problems with this Cycle. Thanks again for helping me with that.

This "Chase" just refers to a series of Scenes or steps that repeats. There is usually a "rate" associated with Chases, which is driven by the snare trigger in my case. I just call it a "Chase" because that's the terminology I learned lighting control on (via old LMX protocol boards...Lightronics, NSI, etc.). I hope most of that made sense. If not, I'll have to give you a call to discuss.

(Ok... I am good with all of the above- makes complete sense to me.. and that is exactly what I understood you were doing.)

(Down here is where your throwing me off.)

Assuming it did though, since my "Chase Cycle" is working fine (triggered by the snare), I'd rather not change how it works. What I want to ADD is simply some sort of "Playlist", if you will, for each song. So, I would be able to pull up a separate "playlist" for each song, which contains steps (Scenes, Switches, and Cycles) in the order they need to be activated. I would decide, based on what part of the song the band is at, when these steps are activated (on the fly). Then, I would press a button (not PAGE DOWN though, because that would interfere with my Chase Cycle) to go to each step within this "playlist". So far, the only method I know of to create these "playlists" are through Cycles. This is problem because some of the steps in the "playlist" would be Cycles themselves...hence Cycle within a Cycle. But if there was another way to build these "playlists" (not through Cycles), then I may be able to work around the problem of having a Cycle within a Cycle.

OK.. So you have 1 cycle. This cycle seems to have all of your scenes for all of your songs in the order you want them to play.
(For the sake of understanding.. lets not use the word "chase".) Smiler
This means that you have all 10 of your songs in one cycle? What i'm figuring your trying to do is have 1 cycle per song, where you can activate that cycle for that song, but you want them all to be in 1 big cycle? Am I on the right track?
I'm not sure why you would want to do it this way. The usual way of doing things is to have 1 cycle per song.
You would then assign a seperate midi note to each cycle, and use the same page up page down command by midi to cycle through your scenes for that song?
Why would you want them on one big cycle?

I was thinking Easy Show may be the solution, but I wasn't sure if it was possible to layout these steps, but only have them activated when I tell them to (on the fly), and NOT based on a prescribed time signature. Is this possible, or is there any other method to achieve my goal here?
All Easy show would help you create organize the scenes you want in the order you want and at the click of one button convert to a timed cycle. But you have generally done all that already, plus you don't want to have your cycles timed. you want to be able to select next. So Easy Show would not work for you.

Let me know.