Skip to main content

Reply to "Using Cycles for Song Cues"

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Elation_Pro:
OK.. So you have 1 cycle. This cycle seems to have all of your scenes for all of your songs in the order you want them to play.
(For the sake of understanding.. lets not use the word "chase".) Smiler
This means that you have all 10 of your songs in one cycle?
(No) What i'm figuring your trying to do is have 1 cycle per song, where you can activate that cycle for that song (Yes) , but you want them all to be in 1 big cycle? (No) Am I on the right track?
I'm not sure why you would want to do it this way.
(I don't) The usual way of doing things is to have 1 cycle per song. (Yes, that's what I want)
You would then assign a seperate midi note to each cycle, (I don't need a midi note for each cycle. I can just click the cycle I want depending on which song they play next) and use the same page up page down command by midi to cycle through your scenes for that song?
Why would you want them on one big cycle?
(I don't)

Let me try a different approach:

Song 1 = Cycle 1
Song 2 = Cycle 2
Song 3 = Cycle 3
etc..

Let's call these Cycles listed above "Song Cycles". My "Song Cycles" will contain Scenes, Switches, and Cycles. When I start to hear Song 1 being played by the band, I want to simply click the button, "Song 1" with my mouse. This should initiate the first step of the "Song 1" Cycle. Then, I want to be able to manually control the steps through the "Song 1" Cycle using the PAGE DOWN or possibly some other key, but it MUST be a manual step activated by me. Then, when Song 2 starts playing, I will simply click the button, "Song 2", and so on.

"RBG Repeat" Cycle = Cycle 50

Let's call this Cycle the "Trigger Cycle". This is simply a repeating cycle of Red, Blue, Green, Red, Blue, Green, etc. Each step of this cycle advances via an external MIDI note, triggered by the snare drum. I have this set up already, and it is currently working as described in the previous post. The thing is, I may want the "Trigger Cycle" to be nested in some "Song Cycles".

So, for example, one song's cycle may look something like this:

Cycle 1 (for Song 1):
1. Purple [Scene]
2. Green [Scene]
3. Red [Scene]
4. Orange [Scene]
5. Cycle 50 (Trigger Cycle) [Cycle]
6. Green [Scene]
7. Purple [Scene]

Desired Operation: I hear Song 1 start to play, so I click on the "Song 1" cycle button. Step 1 (Purple Scene) activates. As the song progresses, I manually go through steps 2 through 4 by pressing PAGE DOWN. Then it gets to the part in the song where I want to run the Trigger Cycle (step 5) that repeats a series of scenes, where each step of that Trigger Cycle is triggered via MIDI. I'll press PAGE DOWN to get to step 5, it runs Cycle 50 (Trigger Cycle) until I press PAGE DOWN again. After pressing PAGE DOWN, step 6 activates, and the Trigger Cycle stops. I press PAGE DOWN one last time to move to step 7. When the song ends, I may select an intermediary scene (not part of Cycle 1). When the next song starts, I'll find the cycle button for that song, click it, and on we go.

I hope this explanation is a little clearer.

Thanks,
Brian