Skip to main content

Our church is finally updating its Lighting Methods, Inc. manual 48-channel console -- of which we only had 18 dimmer channels available -- and we're getting an Elation Show Designer 2, two Elation Design Spot 250s, and four 64B LED Pros. This will work well on our 50 x 30 open stage (made for big productions) and with our existing PARs and Source 4s. I'm old school, having learned lighting design and ops back in the 70s. I've never used a programmable board nor have I used multi-channel fixtures. I'm on a big learning curve. I've read through the forums and see many of the problems written about here. I've read all the manuals (I'm very good at learning by reading, then doing). That's the introduction.

Anything missing from this discussion that those of you with up to 6 years of history with the console can share?
Original Post
Being able to read and understand an instruction manual is a big plus. I think they quit teaching "reading comprehension" many years ago. If you can organize your thinking and planning in logical blocks and steps you will enjoy having a programmable controller. With today's moving fixtures you have to have a controller with memory storage. I can't imagine trying to do it with a manual controller.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.