Skip to main content

Hello forum.  My rock & roll venue system is 4 identical RGB fixtures (Opti RGB) with a SD3 console.  7 DMX channels per fixture.

I'd like to have the Flex Faders control all 4 fixtures together, for a common "color scene" that I can change easily.  Done already; just select all 4 Fixtures, and their 7 DMX channels appear automatically together on Flex Faders 1~7.

Next I would like to have 4 separate Playback masters (in HTP mode!?) bring up "white" (R, G, B) for each respective fixture, e.g. for solo spotlighting.

I thought I could do this with 4 Presets, but when I record a preset to a Playback Master, it always seems to select ALL 4 FIXTURES, rather than each one separately.  How can I keep each Playback Master to control just one fixture?

Or is there a better way to implement what I'm trying to achieve?

Thank you!

Best regards and aloha, George.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Maybe try using a scene instead of a preset. If I recall, presets usually require you to select fixtures ahead of time before calling. Scenes will simply include whatever you put in the scene. It's been a while since I worked with this so I don't recall every detail. It should be in the instruction manual though.

Thanks SDMAN.  I just tried using Scenes instead of Presets, but Scenes seem to have a few different problems:

1. Scenes sometimes want to cancel each other when turning them on.  (Does anyone know why this is?)  This makes it hard to turn on multiple scenes simultaneously.
  2. When a scene fades out, it fades its channels down to zero, rather than letting them stay at their "color scene".

I thought "HTP" would allow the highest value to control the channel, but apparently it means a controller will take exclusive control of the channel as soon as it goes higher than the current channel value.  Is this correct?

Is there a way to have two scenes of the same channels mix together, taking the highest value from either scene--and the scenes may go up and down independently?

Again, my goal is to have 1) a "(dark) color scene" for all 4 RGB fixtures together, and then 2) 4 "spot faders" to bring up a white (or white-ish) scene on just one fixture at a time.  When the spot faders go down, then the color scene should keep the channels at that color scene level, rather than taking that fixture down to black.

Maybe I need to program some RGB channels as conventional dimmers?

Thank you!

Last edited by George Webb

Here's a possible explanation:  I noticed my fixtures' DMX channels are assigned to multiple fixtures, at least one of which is a single "32 channel DMX" fixture, which therefore contains all my 4 fixtures (7 channels each, channels 1~28).  

I don't know why they did that, versus setting up correct separate 7-channel profiles, but perhaps that would explain why the Scene recalls seem to be interfering with each other!?

Maybe I should erase the whole console and start over?

Still trying to get this thing to work nicely.  Thanks for anyone's help.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.