Skip to main content

i have been getting into lighting and thinking about using this program the scanners i recently acquired. It seems like this program will do everything i can envision it doing. how is it in a live setting? i will be working with a jam band want to have some improvisational control over the lights. any insights into this program for a beginner?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

most likely the 1024EC. im still trying to figure out if my computer can handle it or not. im getting a new computer in a few months, but will try to be running it out of my current one. im most concerned with the fact that i dont have high speed 2.0 usb port. thats pretty much the only system requirement my laptop doesnt meet
so i have downloaded the demo version of this program from elation and so far its been pretty easy to use and learn. i have just been using the 3d visualizer while im waiting for my scanner to arrive. anyway, im having trouble putting the scanner in different areas on the visualizer. ie. i have 8 fixtures, and want to have 4 scanners in the back, 1 on each side of the stage and two in the front lying on their backs. is this possible to accomplish?
So i finally got Compu 2006 running on a new computer and it is awesome so far. so much better than using the download on an old crappy laptop.

Heres my question for now: I have discovered the fade in/out control in the button setting. i was wondering if there is a master fader somewhere that i could use to set a global fade in/out time rather than editing the button every time i want to change the speed?
i do know about the scene fade tool bar, but dont think it is gonna help me with what i want to do.

Lets say i have scene a, b, and c. i want to fade through them all the first time with a 3 second fade. then i want to go through them all with a 1 second fade. Is there a way to change this fade time with out changing the fade time to each 3 scenes individually?

i havent tried using the master page - how should i try that way?
so i kind of figured out of my fading problem and doing so figured out a bunch of stuff too. however, one thing keeps bugging me about switches. this is the best way i think i can describe it.

lets say i make a new switch for a color combination. i name the switch "Color - Redblue" it automatically gets placed in the premade color switch with all the other pregenerated color switched within the main switch. heres my problem.

when im swithced in the pregenerated blue button then switch to the pregenerated red, the blue automatically switched off. When i am clicked into my "redblue" switch then click to red it doesnt automatically switch off. I notice the same thing with switchs for other stuff too.

i was wondering why it acts this way and if there is a way to tweak the setting around that. i have looked all around but still cant seem to figure it out.

thanks for your help
thanks jingles

ive tried messing with the priority settings before and it didnt really do anything for me.

i know about the on/off stuff in the editor, and that works great for me. perhaps when oyu get a chance you could post explanations for the LTP and HTP. i bet i jsut dont understand them that well and therein lies my problem. im off to go rehearse with the band im doing lighting for so no need to rush me an answer

thanks for all your help through out this. i cant wait to reach the full potential that this program holds
Lol. Not a problem. HTP and LTP.

DMX is works via a 8 bit code up 512 per line. Thus the term, DMX 512, or 512 channels per line. 8 bit code is a value between 0-255, which is why in many manuals for things like moving lights, you can see percentages or numbers ranging from 0-255 for control. 16bit is just taking two channels and linking them together, or numbers ranging from 0-65535 which is why 16bit is great for movement and even gobo rotation, it is much more precise.

Now, what this has to do with HTP, or Highest Takes President, and LTP, or Last Takes President. HTP basically says, whatever the highest DMX value the channel sees, it uses. Let's say you have a Stage Setter-24, and are running it in 2-scene mode. If you have channel one at 50% on scene one, and then fade up scene two which you have channel one at 75%, channel one will go to 75%. Now, if you fade down scene two, still leaving scene one up, channel one will go no lower then 50%.

Another good way to explain it is theatre's have panic systems for house lights, so they can come on in an emergency or if the console crashes, whatever the reason. Panic says the house lights are at 100%, but my console says house lights at 0%, the house lights will stay at 100% until some one turns off panic. If I have house lights set to 50% on my console, when someone turns off panic, the house lights will go to 50%. Thus, Highest Takes President.

LTP is a bit trickier to explain. LTP says whatever command I last gave to whatever stays in command. So, let's look at my house lights/panic/console example above in LTP mode. Panic says house lights at 100%. When I go to my console and say house lights at 0%, they will go to 0% because that is that last command they received. If someone were to activate panic again after I told the house lights at 0%, they would go to 100% because the last command was house lights at 100%.

HTP and LTP is great for use with movers. You can set your intensities to be HTP, so if I have them blacked out on one scene, but want them up in the next, you just run up the next scene. Now, say I preset my movers in the blackout in the scene before so no one would see them moving, in the next scene, unless I tell them to do something different, they won't change in LTP. An easier way to explain it would be for me to explain the difference between cue-only consoles and tracking consoles, but that is another ball of wax, and another long thread. Hope this helps.
im really starting to get the hang of the program now, thanks for all of your help. But i do have another question.

So i have now started using the master page to create scenes with my two pages(a scanner page and a par can page)So i clicked on my center scanner scene and my par can scene. I go to the master page, create a scene as you see now, and everything is cool. Then i go to my master page and click on my new scene button. then my #1 scanner just points off in an obsure direction. when i go to edit that master page scene the the little box where my dmx value for the x/y position is displayed green whereas all the other scanner have numerical values. How do i correct this?
so i just tried that and no luck. However, if i go in to the setting for the button and make the scene into a switch, the problem is gone - weird. i guess that could be a quick fix, but any scene i make the one scanner keeps going into the same wierd direction - but as soon as a make that scene into switch problem solved. i guess i could just use master switches instead of master scenes
i am using martin scx600 scanners

this is just happening happening in 3d visualizer. i could understand that being the case.

however when i go to edit the button, right above the fader for the x axis controller for scanner 1, instead of having a numerical value, the little box below channel six is green whereas all the other scanner show a numerical value under ther respective channel

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.