Skip to main content

In This forum you can discuss tips, tricks, and troubleshooting for Elation's Next Generation Compu Live software, "Compu Show".

I have a client that is fixing to upgrade their lighting computer. Right now they are running xp with compulive. When they upgrade to a new computer I know that they will be forced to upgrade to compushow because the clive dongle will not be recognized on the newer computer. So because of this i have a few questions:
1. can the compulive show and all of the related custom fixture profiles be painlessly imported into compushow. 2. can compulive run on the newer computer with the new dongle eliminating the immediate need for import into cshow? 3. Lastly, if the import is the best course of action what are the steps to doing it without incident?

Thanks in advance for the help.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

ok in order:

1) Yes in fact most if not all of the current profiles have been updated to the new profile .ssl2 file type and are already in there. It is very easy to import.

2) Yes it can. The new interfaces (Compu cue Basic, compu cue, and Compu Show SD) are all "backwards" compatible for the Compu live software providing at least the June 8th 2010 Compu Live software release date is installed on the new computer.

3) please refer to page 15 and 16 in this manual: http://db.tt/cX5JuchL

Sincerely,
Hey Jingles....

This saga is still in the making but we are getting close. On my client's compulive computer i cannot find where the custom fixture profiles that were used in their show are still on the computer...I have searched the hard drive far and wide and there are no signs of them. I am assuming that they were installed and removed for whatever reason by the installing contractor or the computer may have been changed out at some point and the custom profiles not retained because whoever migrated the show to the other machine was unaware that they were needed....anyway my question is can the custom profiles be exported from the show page? Thanks man.

Shane
Frowner.....Looks like I might have to rebuild the profiles if I want to set them up in compushow. Otherwise I will just keep them in compulive...not fired up about that but it will work. I think that there are six or seven different fixture types....the most complicated of which are the high end technobeams...Should be able to use the stock profiles for those wouldn't you think? Why the original vendor felt the need to use a custom profile for that fixture I am not sure....Can you think of a reason why?...would there be special settings in their custom profiles that would only work with the scenes and switches that they created? Just trying to figure what hardships that I will be up against when I tackle this....In my mind it seems like it should be easy to transfer the fixture profiles...."I mean its just DMX and mapping....Right? For all intents and purposes the profiles, where that is concerned, should be the same."...On the other hand I do know that there could be and probably is more to it than that. Anyway, your professional thoughts and receommendations are appreciated.

Thanks

Shane
sometimes I get requests to re build a profile with new information, like actual gobo icons to best represent the actual gobo on the wheel. Same for color wheels etc. What you could do is take the best techno profile from compu live and then all you need to do is open it up in the editor and then make sure you have all the right icons and all that fun stuff and then simply "save as" ssl2. and it should be good to go. And yes it really is just giving you a easier perspective on what exactly you are controlling and where on the fixture. Smiler Hope this helps.
Sincerely,

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.