Skip to main content

Hi there,

I have an SD3 and some questions about using that desk.
Ok, here we go: I will use them on live shows and in the beginning only for the movinglight.
What will be the best an flexibelst way to progamm it.
I would progamm the X/Y drives to the Flaxfaders and do the rest by the Presets so I´m most flexible but there ist a problem, I can´t programm a Chase (simpleflash) to the Presets.
Is there a better way for using?
You should know that I don´t want to programm compleat shows befor the gig becouse we have no fix clients and so I have to be flexible.
And how is it posible to integrate the convention Light like PARs, ACL, Blinders and so one?
Colored Par´s are clear there I programm an show but what about ACL where I wont to dip a button without pressing "GO" before it flashs...
There is my SGM Studio Scan Control desk more simple as the SD3.

Can somboady tell me more about using SD3?
AND BIG SORRY for my englisch I am german. Smiler
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Hi,

the problem is: the european support have not the time or the desire to help me. I am in contakt with the people from ADJ in Kerkrade,
Netherlands. I think there is just one guy how knows mutch about the SD3 and he is always busy.
Thats why I write here. Frowner
But if you know a user in europe or germany that will help me...

But there ist one big question: The designer of SD3 had createt that desk for Live-Shows or Disco/Club?

Best Regards & thx
Hi Audio pip.

A few things to start you off. simple flash will not work if you are not using a profile. you have to upload a full version profile simple flash feature works.

You can control X/Y from jog wheels, joy stick or flex faders. however if you use Flex faders for X/Y control then you can not use flex faders for conventional.

You can select 3 flex fader models.
1. fixture channels
2. conventional dimmers
3. More Play backs.
If you want to use Flex faders for conventionals then you have to set to conventional dimmer mode.

ACL, Pars and blinders are conventional you don't need to use profiles as they are run by dimmers channels. Simple on and off.
You can use conventional channel dimmers to turn on and off. then record the look you want as a scene.

Sorry reply took so long Audio, however many of the questions you ask are in the user manual.
Hi & thx for your help!

So I mean the usermanual is bad to understand, I´m no newbie in that business but some things are realy bad to understand.
OK, I will tell you what I am using:
8x Futurelight PHS-250
(4x Goldbright MH-250 simple movinglight)
2x Blinders
4x ACL
2x Strops
32x PAR-64 colored conventionel dimmers effekt light
24x PAR-56 withe conventionel dimmers front light

In the beginning I will use the SD3 and a SGM Studio 24 Scan control the SD3 shuld work with the movinglight.
How I would like to work: I will easyly programm a move like a circle or a line to the playback masters so I get 8 moves on one page. Then I imagined to programm all colores, gobos, effects like shutter open or strobe to the presets.
Later on the road, I easyly will mix that. Starts to play a playback master than chose a color, a gobo et cetera. But the first what would´t work ist to programm a simple flash or a complex flash to a effect preset. Frowner
So I think that way of using is wrong.

But if I programm a compleat show this is too easy and one is not adaptable an you have to programm about 40-60 shows!!! Each song of a band means a new show. Thats no poosibly, becouse we have too different kinds of customers.

So can you give me a Impulse of thought how I can use the SD3 right in connection with all my light? This is my aim too use the SD3 with all my light if its poosibly.
Last edited by audio-pip
Hi Audio,

You need to add values to DMX step of your profile.

say ch 3 special
step 1 max speed fromdmx 0 toDMX 14
Step DMX needs to be 7. 7 is between 0 and 14.

do this for every step of every channel.
Also chan 4 you can assign preset row to color
chan 5 you can assign preset row to gobo
chan 6 preset row can also be gobo
channel 8 prism can be preset row effect

this is all very important for chase functions to work..your profile has to be correct.
The SD3 needs 1 value for the Step DMX.
When you use data wheels on console it needs to know a number value.
It cannot understand 0-14 it needs one number. the number can be any number from 0-14. it can be 2 it can be 4 it can also be 13.
However it is best for the performance of the fixture to select a value inbetween the 2 values that you have.

say you have values 20 - 40 for color red.. then you want your step value to be 30 for best performance and least problems.
ahhhh I understand, that number gives the steps for the data wheels Cool

you have to be a kind of god to know that without manual. Thats what I miss in the complete manual of SD3, these small infos are very important!

thank you!

supplement:
I have tested it an I must say there is no difference between the old library file with the 0 value and the new where I added values. Useless or I am too stupid?!? Frowner
Could it be that this value is just for the SD3 Processor important? So that it could take the average value in programms to work easy?

But CF-Card works, it was wrong formated with FAT32 now only in FAT it works well...

But back to my main question!

PIP
Last edited by audio-pip
quote:
... 8x Futurelight PHS-250
(4x Goldbright MH-250 simple movinglight)
2x Blinders
4x ACL
2x Strops
32x PAR-64 colored conventionel dimmers effekt light
24x PAR-56 withe conventionel dimmers front light

In the beginning I will use the SD3 and a SGM Studio 24 Scan control the SD3 shuld work with the movinglight.
How I would like to work: I will easyly programm a move like a circle or a line to the playback masters so I get 8 moves on one page. Then I imagined to programm all colores, gobos, effects like shutter open or strobe to the presets.
Later on the road, I easyly will mix that. Starts to play a playback master than chose a color, a gobo et cetera. But the first what would´t work ist to programm a simple flash or a complex flash to a effect preset. Frowner
So I think that way of using is wrong.

But if I programm a compleat show this is too easy and one is not adaptable an you have to programm about 40-60 shows!!! Each song of a band means a new show. Thats no poosibly, becouse we have too different kinds of customers.

So can you give me a Impulse of thought how I can use the SD3 right in connection with all my light? This is my aim too use the SD3 with all my light if its poosibly.

Thats what I´m interessted in...
So programming only presets is not the right way, it dosn´t work. Frowner
Sure it does.
by creating and installing the library you can now use the preset button above to set page to F1 and you can select colors and gobos to change using buttons.

you can also record scene positions, movements or preset positions to the buttons then transfer those to the playback masters.

It's possible, you just have to read manual to learn how to record.
Actually it sounds like you need someone to train you on how to use the console because it sounds like you are really lost.
I don't have a video on the Show designer 3 yet but take a look at this Show designer 2 video and it should help you understand the 3.

http://www.elationlighting.com...ory=&ItemNumber=1287
quote:
Actually it sounds like you need someone to train you on how to use the console because it sounds like you are really lost.

Oh yes Iam... Big Grin

I have seen that video on youtube. Nice, but that give me the question: what for ist the SD3 designed? I think ist made for a club with fixed light setup or a company always using the same setup. But thats not what I do. I offen have differnt setups of light.
So I need to know how I can use it flexible.
Just programing moves and mix the rest in the show. Nice to have hot cues for flashing the ACL Lights or tape a strobe for some flashe.

So you have seen that the manual is incomplest or I dont understand that sound its writen. Yes shame on me or on my english. Frowner
Do you know if there ever will be an manual writen in german?
OK first thing first, I have to learn step by step to use it right and for the beginig it will be ok to use it on the Movingheads...

And many thanks for your suport!!! You realy help me. Smiler

PIP

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.