Skip to main content

One of my DS250's recently started giving me the "09er" error code. According to the manual:

09Er - Prism-wheel error - This message will appear after the reset of the fixture and if the magnetic-indexing circuit malfunctions (sensor failed or magnet missing) or the stepping-motor is defective (or its driver circuit on the main PCB). The Prism wheel is not located in the default position after the reset.

My question is, based on the video posted here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FV0thaN6zbc), does anyone from Elation have a "best guess" for which of the 4 possible issues described above pertains to my fixture? The video picks up after the 3 fixture attempts to reset the prism wheel.

I have already sent this light in before, and I would really prefer to avoid incurring another $60 shipping charge plus whatever labor is involved with fixing the light. I'm an engineer, and I've had Gines and Romero help me replace parts (magnetic sensor, PCB, etc.) in these fixtures before, so if I can simply order the correct part and get some simple instructions, I'm fairly confident I can replace whatever needs to be replaced.

Please take a look and let me know your thoughts. If I need to post detailed photos or more video, I can.

Thanks,
Brian
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Gines,
I tried everything you said. The magnet was still present (looked just like the one on the good light), but I decided to try swapping them anyway. After the swap, both fixtures behaved exactly like they did before. So, I know the magnetic sensor is good.

The harness going from the sensor to the PCB is basically impossible to really trace back to the PCB b/c all the yellow, brown and orange wires are tie-wrapped with many other sensor wires (of the same color) going back to the PCB. So, instead, I just verified that all of the plugs on the PCB were secure and that there were no plugs hanging loose anywhere else.

What I did notice thought was that if I manually move the prism-wheel a little bit, the prism-wheel motor "hunts" for a few seconds and eventually lines up the magnet in the prism-wheel to the magnet in the sensor. I realize this is not a fix b/c this requires that the light lens be removed from the fixture...not exactly convenient before every show. But what it seems to indicate to me is that it's a problem with either the prism-wheel motor or some other component upstream of the the prism-wheel motor (perhaps the "driver circuit on the main PCB").

Knowing all that, what are your thoughts on what my next step should be?

Thanks,
Brian
Gines,
After we talked on the phone, I checked the connectivity between the prism magnetic sensor and the connector on the PCB. All 3 wires checked out good.

Also, I tried swapping the PCB with the good light, and it still gave me the 09Er code. So, I'm inclined to think that it's not the PCB. Or, do you think it could still be the PCB somehow?

I felt the resistance of the good stepping motor vs. the bad stepping motor, like you suggested, and they felt about the same.

So, I've eliminated the magnetic sensor. I've eliminated the wiring from the magnetic sensor to the PCB. I think I've eliminated the PCB (but maybe not). I'm not sure if I've eliminated the stepping motor. Not sure what else to try.

I will call on Wednesday to discuss.

Thanks,
Brian

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.