Skip to main content

I am attempting to download/backup the pre-loaded fixtures from a Magic 260 controller. I have been able to download the fixture set; however, I am unable to pull apart the fixture set within the Magic 260 program. If I push any custom fixtures to the 260 without the pre-loaded fixtures in the fixture set, only the custom fixture uploaded will be available for use. The pre-loaded fixture I am particularly interested in is the Intimidator 2.0. Does anybody have a potential solution to download and add the custom fixture to the existing fixture set?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Thank you for the reply Sinaloakid. Unfortunately, I do not have the mff files containing the originally loaded fixtures shipped with the magic 260 controller. I was attempting to download the fixtures off the box into a compatible mff format; however, I can only download the memory and fixture set files as a whole. I was able to build a wcn file containing the new fixture I developed, but I do not have the additional fixture mff to upload as a set. Do you know of a way to download the fixtures on the board? I checked ADJ and Elation to see if the mff was included in their set.. no luck.
I too have been bashing my head against a brick wall trying to get my PC to load the profiles I have made for the 260 controller..

One for a Prolight LED light bar, and one for a Martin SCX700.
I was getting a "Format Error" when I tried to send the SCX700 over to the main screen, but I've overcome that.

I can save the .wcn file, just don't seem to be able to send it to the controller, either with the USB lead, or the USB memory stick. The original fixtures have saved to the USB memory stick, but it has a long file name extension .MAGIC211

God knows how I'm going to get my other fixtures sorted too if it can't handle just two fixtures.
The frustration, and effort required to get this far has been monumental.
If I can't get this up and running it's destined for the skip, and as it wasn't exactly cheap so I really don't want to do that.

Was somewhat surprised to find no downloadable profiles, and the software looks like it should be running on Windows 3.1

Somewhat disappointed, but hope there is a chance it can be done.
Hi SonicNRG. I was able to get past the "Format Error" issue by selecting a channel label that existed in the default list. (ie.. Pan, Tilt, Red, Gobo) As for writing the file to the device, save the .wcn file and then execute the upload using the USB cable. Get the controller setup to receive the file and then send the wcn through the sync program they have. I would agree that the program needs some updating as it appears to be VB 6.0 (1990's). It has been about 6 months since I've messed with it; so, I will help where I can. Let me know if you get any errors during the transfer.
I did manage to resolve the format error on the SCX700 myself, I had used macro twice, and clearly the editor didn't like that.

I managed to load in the file tonight.
I first cleared the memory of the controller.
Then put the master fader up to 255 (read this on another post), and then tried loading in a fixture file from the PC.

It came up with loading, and a percentage!
Great, I've cracked it..

Well, maybe.

The profile of the megabar on the PC is:
Ch 1 Function (RGB / auto / sound)
Ch 2 Dimmer (master dimmer for all 4 units)
Ch 3 FlashSped (stobe / flash fx)
Ch 4 Red 1
Ch 5 Green 1
Ch 6 Blue 1
Ch 7 Red 2
Ch 8 Green 2
Ch 9 Blue 2
Ch10 Red 3
Ch11 Green 3
Ch12 Blue 3
Ch13 Red 4
Ch14 Green 4
Ch15 Blue 4
Ch16 Not used (based profile on a 16 fixture)

The controller reorders the screen as follows
Dimmer
Function
Not Used
FlshSped
Red 1
Red 2
Red 3
Red 4
Green 1
Green 2
Green 3
Green 4
Blue 1
Blue 2
Blue 3
Blue 4

Now I've not had chance to test this with the fixture itself, if the functions match the actual functions on screen, I've no problem with that.
If however, the DMX channels follow as I expect, then the functions listed are in fact out of sync.
I will only know when I test it, and that is not likely to be until the weekend.

Anybody wanting to risk a bet on to what the outcome will be?
I know where my money is..

I would like to thank those who have show an interest so far.
Your input is most welcome.

edit.. I haven't then dared to look what the SCX700 profile looks like, I suspect it too has reordered the list of functions.
Ah yes. I ran into the duplicate label twice before as well. Glad to hear you were able to get the file loaded onto the board. I have not found a solution to the re-order as of yet. It may have something to do with the order the channel labels are in within the channel name form. (close other forms and select EditChName from the ShowForms menu)

Couple questions for anybody who knows..

What do each of the Fade Mode's do? snap before, fade, snap after

When should the steps be used? (I currently use steps to click to next block of sub-channels)

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.