Skip to main content

Friends,

Last summer I installed (4) new Design Spot 250's and (4)new Vision Scan 250's in a dance club near my loft. The lights complement each other very well and the clientelle and staff are thrilled with their lights.

I have very recently noticed that on one of the Design Spots the focus lense is starting to brown. The light output is rapidly diminishing and the color quality is trashed. I tried to clean the lense but the problem seems to be within the glass.

I wanted to know if it is possible to get a new focus lense assembly for this light? Or do I have to go through the time and trouble of uninstalling the entire fixture and ship it to you for the repair?

Kindest regards,

J.S. Leslie Jr.
Martha's Complex, Springfield, MO
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I don't want to be viewed as critical or negative, but I have a real interest in why this might be happening.

Is this because of a coating for the lens? Is this because of the usage of a plastic or acrylic lens as opposed to glass?

If I were to buy some of these, my maintenance concerns would be more minimal only because since I am a live sound production company, that would mean nothing of mine is permanently mounted so it wouldn't be so difficult to do maintenance.
As I mentioned in my fax to elation... The browning of this lens occurred after only around 900 hours of use. In a fixture that was as that time 4 months old. Not after several years as you indicated.

I am happy to say that Elation sent me not one but two replacement focus lenses to replace the one that had browned. The change out was simple and the lights were up an running in 15 minutes.
I had an event this previous weekend, I noticed my lights were dim so I spent about $500 in replacement bulbs, when I put them in the fixtures they lights were still dim. I started to look at what It might be, then i figured out it was the lens. I think this is a problem that shouldn't be overlooked. This is ridiculous!

Elation was able to overnight me 7 new focus lenses but they weren't cheap. Also half of them didn't come in the metal bracket! Once i did get the lenses in the lights looked like new but I am still very unhappy this can happen in the first place. how hard is it to find a glue to join these lenses that doesn't brown after a while. Its clear that that is the issue since glass will not brown when being heated.
I was hoping that I would not have to deal with this issue that seems clearly to be a manufacturing problem. But low and behold today during maintenance we discovered two units that have the focus lens glue starting to deteriorate. The units have only totaled ~ 900 hours on the lamp and it seems that the lens life equates to 1/3 of the lamp life? Will all 18 units do this?

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.