Skip to main content

I look forward to participating in this forum. I have been watching for some time as I wrestled with the purchasing decision to move to a computer based controller, and whether the $300 entry level would work for me or did I need the more expensive 1024.

I am a one man band, guitar, bass pedals, doing covers in bars and occasional outdoor/holiday shows. I wanted to improve the performance by adding lights, but they needed to be controlled by my feet.

I bought 12 MBT LEDs par cans (5 channel), 2 PAR 64's, and 3 white blinders. Unfortunately, the best footcontroller I could find was a 16 DMX channel, so I was stuck grouping the MBT LED's to 6 and 6. But what the footcontroller does very well is sound to lights and that beat sync to scene cycle is very important. I input the bass note into the controller and it works great. I wanted to preserve that feature in the software controller. That counted out the entry level version.

Anyway, I bought the 1024 last Friday, along with 2 ADJ X-Scan LED scanners, and a strobe. Up over 80 channels now. Being able to click an ON button and have a single light go on is a new found freedom from my old 16 channel prison.

Haven't yet tried to sound to sync, but anxuous to test the midi to sync as my bass pedal is a midi controller.

Long winded story, but I was able to find the X Scan profile after using the "explore online" button. Thank you to the manual author who highly recommends stepping consecutively through the chapters and do not jump around. Excellent advice I heeded.

But I can not find a profile for my MBT LEDPAR64. It is a 5 channel LED par can, 1=Red, 2=Green, 3=Blue, 4=brightness, 5=strobe rate. I have seen kind people generously offer to write profiles for members in need. May I kindly ask for help? Or is there a generic profile I can use? I found plenty of other LEDs, but none 5 channel, and I am a distance from editing competancy.

Thank you.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

James, Thank you for the help.

The manual has no description of the DMX traits. If I could have an OM button with sliders 0%-100% for each of the 5 channels that would be quite helpful.

I am still only on page 39 of the manual, so I don't yet know if this is possible, but a few specific color buttons (like that on the X-Scan page I added) would be over and above. I would understand if this not possible, because I suppose I would RGB the colors myself with the sliders and save the scene "as I see now" to lock it in.

Bob
James, Thank you so much for the profile. Works Great!. I especially appreciate the chaser function you added. I have been exploring with different strobe rates - nice effect. I need to get the DMX traits to fine tune it - especially the dimmer function - exactly as you suggested.

This program is quite complex and complicated, but maybe it just seems that way because I am still learning. I am determined to remain patient becuase I think CompuLive is an incredible tool for me take my live guitar show (and side DJ job) to the next creative level.

I am convinced that the things the drive me bonkers are there for a specific creative reason, to be revealed as I take my time working page by page through the manual. For example, when scene buttons are attached to specific pages, they work only on the fixtures on that page, despite the "as I see now". Maddening. Last night when I had a "as I see now", Red color on the LED's and a yellow gobo slowly circling, did not work when clicked on a button scene within the specific page. Placing the scene button on the master page, it works on all fixtures. Seems reasonable the next morning when I am more clear-headed, and logical too. As I get more experience, I will see creative opportunities of these things. Moral is, take my time, gain experience slowly and methodically. Don't get frustrated - this is supposed to be fun. And the challenge is rewarding when I create a new scenes and transitions that matches the music.

Having a bit of trouble with the cycle button - I'll start a new thread.
Bob, yes patience in this industry is a virtue. it really is. Everything takes time. it took me about a good year to fully understand how this software works. The thing about programming scenes is whatever page is active last when you hit the new scene button it will save that pages data to a scene on that page. unless the master was selected then it takes all the pages data and saves it as a master scene in the master page. make sense? give it time and i bet you one day you will be making rigs like the one i am working on now just for fun. here's a pic.

Sincerely,

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.