Skip to main content

Hello, I am a middle school drama teacher. I recently purchased the 1248 to program and run the cues in my small theater. I have 3 elation Joy-300 moving lights and 30 or so conventional fixtures. I have finally, after many hours, at least figured out how to control all my lights manually.

But, I cannot begin to understand how to program the board to run my cues in sequence. The manual included in the box is a joke. Whoever is responsible for that ought to be embarrassed. At least the one posted on your site is written by someone who speaks english, but it still leaves much unexplained.

I have three main questions. I would really appreciate a clear response so I can move forward. First, is there a way to control a conventional light with a DMX address of 49 or higher? Second, is there a way to add the state of a moving light to a Submaster, so that the conventionals and the MLs all move from one submaster 'look' to another with all at once. Finally, what is the simplest way to progress through a sequence of cues. I probably have about 80 cues for the show I am preparing for, and the only way I have done it is by programming each cue into a submaster, then using the 'preset A/B' sliders to go from one to the next. It seems like a lot of unnecessary movement of the faders; can't I just tap the bump buttons like I've done with much less robust (and cheaper) boards? What if I accidentally miss a cue or forget to change to the next page of submasters, how do I quickly move to the submaster I want?

Again, I will appreciate any help you can give. If it simply can't do what I'm trying to do, please let me know so I can get the right board for my needs in time for my show which opens 5/20. Thanks!
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
irst, is there a way to control a conventional light with a DMX address of 49 or higher?

Q1 response

hi last minute.
yes, you can set your conventional to any channel you want.
it should be set from 1 - 96 by default but its simple to adjust.
Select Sub master button... then select Menu button.
Your screen is now in menu mode.. and on the top right of screen you will see Channel set up, press button (A) then follow arrow commands. DIM = conventional channels.. this should be set from 1-96
Last edited by elationpro
quote:

Second, is there a way to add the state of a moving light to a Submaster, so that the conventionals and the MLs all move from one submaster 'look' to another with all at once.

Q2 Response

No, Submaster only works for conventional channels and ML's move independent. You can have the ML cues on a timer or with a "go" feature.
How do I program a sequence for the ML's? If it's in the manual, point me to it, but I haven't seen anything that explains the function of the "Go" button.

What mode does the board have to be in to run the cues for the ML's? Even if it requires two button presses at once, is it possible to go to the next submaster for the conventionals and the next cue for the ML's simultaneously?

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.