Skip to main content

this could very well be a problem with my thinkpad... or it could very well be a problem with the usb2.0 pcmcia cardbus adapter that i'm using for my compu pro... or software??

while playing through a show in easyshow, the lighting effects start going out of time with the music, then about 10 seconds later the entire laptop shuts down. it's happened twice.

first i thought maybe the laptop was overheating, but both times it happened the laptop was only on for about 10 minute... i've had the system on after for 2 hours at a time and it doesn't shut down.

any ideas? or seen this problem before?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I have had this happen to me before. I was using easyshow to program a sequence for christmas lighting for a house in el paso. what i did was create a cycle of the time line then had it play back on a timer. some times it would not start at all. some times it would get of sync with the music and like you said shut down the computer all together. The tech guy from elation i called was sure it was the computer so the house owner bought a brand new dell computer and had his IT guy clean it of EVERTHING except the compuware. the problem persisted. the IT tech monitored the computer and noticed it was using up all the ram and not releasing it after the show was over, this was what caused the problem. let elation know and they sent me a fix a week later. still happend, by that time i just ran the show manually which worked fine. that was the 2006 show, for the 2007 light show just to avoid any problems all together I just stayed at the house for everyshow to start the show manually, but know one ever new why it did that on the timer or how to fix it....

here is a link of the video of the 2007 show. just goes to show you how versatile this software is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDolcq7n-KM

we are already talking about ideas for the 2008 show if you have any suggestions.
yup yup, that was me. thanks james, nice meeting you as well. man i've only done that show for two years but wow that takes up all of my december lol. the 06 show was the first I had ever used the software and everytime i get a chance to use it i always find something cool about it. i know its still a long while away, but i'll definitely be keeping in touch as this years show rolls up
don't look at it that way. i'm 20 and have only been doing lights for three years. just keep at it. when i first started lighting i new the how to work a light copilot haha. now I head the lighting department for a production company running avolite, and almost on a weekly basis go do installs and programming for clubs in el paso and over in juarez mx. so even though your 15 always be taking in as much as can.
OK nick. i got the developers looking into this. and they said it could take some time to find a solution if there is one. if i were i would upgrade to the latest version and see if it helps. cause if it crashes and u have the latest version it may send out a error messgae and then if they can fix it they will send you a patch. it happened to me. it should work for you. sincerely,
Lol. I'll give you a hint on my aim screen name jingles, you have seen it before. Problem is, you can see and/or talk to me unless your on my buddy list.

21 here. I have been doing lighting professionally since sophomore year in high school, so about 5 years now. Started the 'big gigs' when I graduated in '05. One thing I have going for me is I look and act like a 30 year old, so no one questions me unless they find out my age.
@Jingles: Nope, don't have Yahoo!, just AIM. Although I have spoken with John before over the phone. Secret identities are fun Cool.

@Nick: One out of 1000, have you seen the color selector for LED units on a GrandMa, Hog 3 family, or Eos? You can pick a gel color, of which you have Rosco, Rosco Europe, Apollo, GAM, and Lee, or from a color wheel. The possibilities are endless. The fun colors are to make are brown, gray, silver, gold, and bronze. Then make movers with CMY match the LEDs. Talk about options and a pain, lol.

@Esteban: Corporate shows steal my soul. They are great money, but the hurry up and wait is huge, the clients demanding, the down time little to none, and during the show, I am trying to stay awake most of the time. This is why I do theatre and dance shows for way less money or sometimes free even. It breaks it up and reminds me off the fun things to do in this business. Also, no myspace, facebook, or any of those things. Very long rant about why, but I won't bore the forum with that. I can however show some pictures of my work on here. Its pretty much nothing but theatre photos however, and a lot of the shows I have done I have no photos to show for it Mad.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.