Skip to main content

In This forum you can discuss tips, tricks, and troubleshooting for Elation's Next Generation Compu Live software, "Compu Show".

Would like to build a matrix with the fixture I've been discussing here. Was looking at manual from compu live couldnt connect the dots between the two programs. Also, it looked as though I had to eneter through color mix editor? This fixture has no color mix. It is the Rainstar LC007; similar to the adj mega pixel. I am running it in a 26ch mode, where as ch1+=function, ch2=speed, ch3=r, ch4=g, ch5=bl and so on up to ch26. One more thing, where can I find jingles email. thanks.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

OK Here goes.

As of the last beta of CompuShow I tested, the profile editor still did not allow for a fixture to have multiple R, G, or B slots. Therefor, you can patch a matrix with the full profile but the effects will only work for pixel 1. (Very few console manufacturers have this capability built in to their consoles as of yet.)

Build a Matrix of 3 Channel RGB Units. It can be handy to open a 3 channel LED fixture profile in the PROFILE EDITOR and name it Pixel and save it as Pixel.

Make a new page, Select your Pixel, and click Matrix. Here you put in not the amount of fixtures you have but the amount of PIXELS (RGB sets) and you ignore any other channels for the time being. Graph paper is highly advised.

MATRIX EDITOR can save a lot of time: I will demonstrate with the MegaPanel - the pixel layout will is the most frustrating:

26 Channel fixture, RGBRGBRGBRGBRGBRGBRGBRGBSI

In the advanced Matrix Options you can set the submatrix, what I just showed you, which will act as a unit that will follow whatever flow pattern you pick, those are the blue buttons with the arrows.

On the graph paper have a chart of all of your fixtures pixels lined up. Write in the starting DMX address of each pixel.

01 04 07 10 _ 27 30 33 36 _ 53 56 59 62
22 19 16 13 _ 48 45 42 39 _ 74 71 68 65

Have another chart that's a solid grid, your matrix, with the fixture numbers.

01 02 03 04 09 10 11 12 17 18 19 20
08 07 06 05 16 15 14 13 24 23 22 21

Now for the fun part... Open the page settings and go to the channel tab. The numbers you see will correspond to the matrix chart. Start with Pi1 (Pixel 1) Highlight it, One of the options is to change it's address, select this option and insert the address from the corresponding gridpoint on the DMX Chart.

Rinse and Repeat until you hate everything about computers and having to click Enter.

Smiler I hope this helps
Last edited by wheresjc
In compu show it is a little different. you patch your leds normally and then in the scene editor or switch editor you have to create a "Rect". But first organize your led positions using the fixture group window. You can highlight all your leds and then use the positions wizard to arrange them in a matrix. once you do that then create a new scene or switch and click ok+Edit. now if you notice in the fixtures window there are two tabs. one is called fixtures and one is called groups rect. Groups rect is where your going ot create your "matrix" and will allow you to program matrix effects such as butterfly, raindrops, circle, etc.
to create a new Rect go to the groups rect tab and then click on the page icon with a plus sign on it. now if you drag your mouse to the grid where the fixtures icons are you will see it turn into a cross. use this to highlight all your fixtures in the rect. once you have your rect area created click on the page icon with a gear on it and use your mouse to finely adjust the size of your rect. once your done click the page icon with a gear on it once more to un-highlight it. now open up your easy time window and then click on your rect and drag it onto the timeline area and then let it go. this will create a "layer one" timeline. now to the left of the timeline is a small where you can select effects to program. scroll down to see all the matrix effects and then choose one by dragging it and dropping it onto the timeline. now it will ask you if you wish to create the effect on the time line select yes. and now the matrix generator will load. play around and let me know if you have any questions about all this so far? If you need a video tutorial let me know i may have time to make one today.
Sincerely,
Hey WJC---Thanks! So lucky me, these bars have a 24ch mode(no dimmers/speed). So, for now; I can skip the address edit. Sure I'll be doing that this week though so I can also run them on a page seperate from the matrix. Actually built two matices two run these. One as an rgb and another as a single channel-get some pretty cool efx this way. Well anyway; thanks again.
Lucky draw on the 24 Ch. Mode!

Here's another tip:

Make a page of matrix sequences as switches

Duplicate your ColorMix and call it ColorSub.

Go into the page settings under Compression.

Make a color-mixing compression called ColorSub.

Now go into the settings for the switch ColorSub.

On the last option make it SUB instead or LTP of HTP.

Now run a white sequence.

Fire the ColorSub and play.

Once you have a solid bank of effects set at ADD or SUB or HTP, not LTP, duplicate the page once or twice and the sequences should blend seamlessly as long as your machine has the cojones. This means your white rain drops can play on 3 pages as Red, Blue, and Green Raindrops at different speeds and intensities.

Smiler Happy Lighting
Last edited by wheresjc

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.