Skip to main content

I can download the software from Nov. 4, 2008 for the stand alone version but when it runs I brings up a box asking for language and then has a setup error and and runtime error at 35:36. I have tried this on 3 different computers all with the same issue. I have the lights flickering randomly and on another post it mentioned download the latest version. I can't seem to get it. Please help.

I am running 8 par 64 leds and some lexicon dimmers with par 64 lights on them. They are all DMX dimmers. Just have a random flicker. sometimes really quick, sometimes a second or two of blackout!

Thanks for your help!!!

Jon
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Just so you know what I'm experiencing.

I run the zip file, it asks for the language and I click ok for English. The next box is
Setup
Please do not rename this EXE file!
and it has an OK button. When clicked I get another setup box that says

Runtime Error (at 35:36)
Internal error: An attempt was made to access WizardForm before it has been created.

When I click OK the setup stops and I'm no longer installing anything.

Thanks for your help!

Jon
Sounds strange.
What version USB interfaces are you running?

You can try uninstalling the software and deleting the SL2006 folder from the C: drive.. then try reinstalling.

I'm using this and a few other people are using this already and things seem to be fine.
the lights flickering randomly does not sound like the software. With the other post we found out it was the lights themselves flickering.
I am using USB 2.0. I'm hesitant to uninstall the current software for fear that I won't be able to install current software. The computer shouldn't be the issue since I have tried this on 3 different computers. Laptop and 2 different purchase dates on the computer with the same problem. I have extracted the zip file and it gives one 34.5 mb file to open and run then I have the same issue. With the same error messages. I have deleted and redownloaded the file again to try but to no avail. Thoughts???

As far as the flickering issue I would like to see more on that topic. For me when I'm running the lights with a lightronics 12 channel board, no issues. but when I go to the usb 1024 EC dongle I start to get a random dropout of light from all the lights. Thoughts???
Jon,
Just a thought on the flickering issue, but first if you are deleting your sl2006 directory, make sure you back it up! I had the same flickering issue, but found out what is was for me. If I plugged in my ShowDesginer 2cf in the DMX run for control, no major issues with my fixtures . But when I plugged in my Compu 2048FC+,almost everything flipped out. I had a MAJOR flickering issues, it made all of my LED's, Macs 250’s /300’s, and Mac wizard flash and move sporadically.

I found out that I had a bad DMX cable between 2 devices. The ShowDesginer 2cf did not pick it up, but I DID have problems with some of the lights responding sometimes, but when I put the 2048 FC+ on for control on the DMX run, there was definitely an issue there! I went to each of my fixtures and “wiggled “ the DMX cables IN/and OUT. When I got to one of my laser devices, the issues would stop. When I moved the cable again, all hell would break loose! I found the cable had a bad GND shield, and replaced it. No issues since then!!! On Compu 2048 FC+, or my ShowDesginer 2cf. I guess the Compu 2048 fc+ is just a bit more sensetive!

On Another note, You probably already know this but, always make sure your DMX runs are “DMX cables”, microphone cables have a different resistance, and can put a “Drain” on the DMX signal, causing things to be erratic also. And always make sure you terminate your DMX runs with a “terminator” on the last device (which is simply a 120 Ohm resistor to bleed off the signal so that it does not “bounce back” down the DMX run, which also causes issues).

Hope this helps,

Misebeam
Last edited by misebeam
I've had the system for about 7 months but have really only used it for a major show last April and am gearing up for the use throughout the school year. I am the fine arts director and technicians and ...... for a 9-12 high school. For our show last year the flickering happened very randomly but I thought it might because I was loading my dimmers pretty heavy. I just started to fire everything back up again this past weekend and the lights are just on a on or off setting for church use. While on - they periodically flash off. Very random. Sometimes very quick sometimes as much as 2 seconds. Obviously a little annoying. Here's what I have going on.

I have 8 LED 64s on my stage that are conncected via the DMX cables and plugged directly to power for each lamp, not looped. I don't have a terminaton on the last light and I will try to get something for that. I have 4 micro-plex dimmers for front of house and I'm well aware of the issues with Microplex and DMX. I have purchased a Microplex to DMX converter through Doug Fleenor Design to convert everything. Last year when I ran the show I used 2 different controllers a lightronics board for the foh - microplex and the computer for the DMX (LED's on stage). - still had flickering. I have currently put the Doug Fleenor Design DMX to Microplex converter in line so that all the lights can be run by the computer (1024 EC) But the church only uses the foh. Flickering last week. The LED's weren't on or even programed into the Easy Stand Alone Version. When I put the microplex lightronics board back on it's fine. Just seems to be an issue with the 1024 EC. I used a laptop last year and this last week have used a different desktop. Same issues on both computers.

Help?
i'm thinking as misbeam said, the data strength of the COMPU box is not the strongest. This is why we recommend an OPTO DMX SPLITTER be used in conjucntion with the Compu Box.
There is usually no problems when you have short distance runs, but if your running FOH with a starting distance of say 100+ feet then the USB interface seems as if it doesn't transmit a strong enough signal. This is mainly due to the fact that it is powered by a USB port.
The DMX Splitter will amplify the signal and control the flickering.
Also are you using DMX data cable or mic cable? sorry about this question but I have to ask.
If you are using a DMX splitter + proper DMX data cable, then there's usually no real need for the terminator.
OK men, still need your help.

I have been troubleshooting the flickering and have found out that if the 1024 usb box is programmed and then run without the computer attached, I have no flicker. As soon as I hook this back up to the computer with USB I get the flicker back. Even with the box plugged in with a AC adaptor so the USB isn't powering everything. I understand about using the OPTO DMX SPLITTER but another expensive box in line is hard to justify without finding out what is making the flicker. Works well off the computer! Just would like to be able to adjust on the fly if necessary. I have tried other usb cables and even a different computer with the same issue.

2nd issue,
I still can't open new NOV. 4th download from elation for the easy stand alone version. I have tried this on 4 different computer at at multiple locations with the same 35:36 error that is mentioned earlier in the post. Can somebody out there actually try to download and then load this software update? I am not new to computers, (Network administrator for our school) and this seems to be a programing error that I cannot get around. Sure would like to get the update or at least get this loaded on another computer and I'm stuck!

Any help or thoughts would be great!
Try plugging the computer into the same outlet as your lights are plugged into and/or lifting the ground on the computer. Seems like it could be a grounding issue. Opto Splitter would solve that problem without the need for lifting.

DMX is sometimes like audio in that it wants to be on the same ground as your lighting control. Most rooms this isn't an issue, but sometimes it is. Large rooms some times have more then one ground for the building, especially common if using a tap. A splitter solves this issue thanks to the fact that it isolates the DMX from the controller to the fixtures and/or dimmers.
jon i would like to see what is all going on on your desktop when you try this. So i would like for you to do two things for me. go to www.crossloop.com and start up a free membership and get your account going. no worries though it is and always will be 100% free. and then cal me at 1-715-302-5671 that is my direct cell and i will be able to see using crossloop what all is going on on your desktop and how you are trying to install or download the software. ok? Btw i am in central time in Wi. so email me and we can set up a time to do this. Email: james k AT Elationlighting DOT COM
Sincerely,
Just to clarify,

When the USB is connected to the 1024 Dongle, I have issues (flickering) When it is not connected and I am running the lights by the dongle without the computer then things are fine.

As far as extracting, I have extracted them to a seperate folder. When it is extracted it still shows as one large 34+ megabyte file. Still have the same problem.

I will get to emailing you on the 26th if it's possbile. Need to spend time with the family on the holiday!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.