Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Now, I am not 100% sure how the SD3 works and its command hierarchy so I apologize if this is wrong, but some ideas I can think of.

If I remember correctly, the SD3 can run more then one Playback at a time. If that is the case, simply create a Playback in which the lights you need are focused where they need to be. Each time you go to another scene, hit that Playback as well after you go to that scene and that Playback should override the scene you just activated. They might move depending on fade times and how fast you hit that Playback, but better then grabbing each light manually each time.

Two ideas that most likely won't work with an SD3.

I don't know if you can adjust Playback priority, making one more important then the other. If you can, make the Playback which has the focus higher priority and you won't have to hit it each time. When you release it, the other scenes should take over the lights again.

Another one would be adding a macro command to the scenes that would trigger that playback instantly. This would cause the lights to not move at all, but you would have to plan ahead in your show and add them to the scenes either before the show or as it is happening. I don't think the SD3 has macro commands however.

Sorry if none of the above work, just some ideas from getting spoiled with the Hog all the time.
Ken - Thanks. At least I know now that there is no simple lock feature on the SD3.

Serra - yeah I don't really know about of any of that. I am very self taught

I am using the controller with 24 design spots and 16 LEDs in the ceiling of a NY style house club.

Great setup. I'm basically just cycling thru scenes, chases, and shows in a live setting (no midi) and getting pretty damn good at it. LOL

I want to get the PC interface tho and create scenes at home and really personalize my experience.

What DMX to PC adapter would you guys recommend? I can't get anyone (who really knows) to help me out on this and I want to do it right.

Can you guys recommmend a VERY USER friendly lighting software with a 3D emulator? I have DasLight, Emulation, and GrandMA installed on my PC. Played around with them a little (minus the adpater) and DL and Emulation look tough to operate and GrandMA crashes my laptop (lol).

Anyone have any pointers, tips, recommendations, or otherwise I would grately appreciate it!

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE.
Hi Plus,

We use the 3D from Compu Live. which i believe is the same as Das light.
Its a 3D screen that uses 3D objects. no Autocad or long time rendering.. however you do still need a good graphic card or your computer will always crash.

Most computers do not have a graphic card with enough memory to run a 3D program. i think you need a bare minimum of 256mb so that's why you may be crashing.
To use our 3D visualizer program that is on our Compu live software and have a set up patched in of 24 design spots and 16 LED's with all the 3D models in the 3D space to best represent the actual club I would say you will need at least a 512MB if not 1Gb graphic card and plenty of ram and a decent CPU to ensure good performance from the 3D software.
Sincerely,
Thanks John & James.

How user friendly is the emulator?

Would I have to take some sort of class to really get ahold of it or can I "learn by using" which I am very good at.

I am basically working the "club" style atmosphere with DJs such as DJ Skribble, DJ Jazzy Jeff, and other hip hop based entertainment. Occasionally they have celebrity appearances where I'd have to spotlight performers, but otherwise, I am designing the lights around the stage and the dancefloor directly in front of the stage.

I need to have simple triggers for stuff like strobes and flashes and make it all look great.

Currently using the Elation Show Designer 3, and by using scenes that were recorded before I came into the picture, I have been simply "pushing buttons" and changing up things on-the-fly but still trying to do everything on the right beat (no midi input, so it's all user-based).

Judging by what James said, I'm going to need a powerful laptop to run them via PC. I do not currently have the adapter (expensive) to connect my PC so I have never scene its functionality in action. I am simply weighing my options because I want to make my light show more personal each night and change things up. And I have heard that it is better to be running the lights from a laptop.

So is it going to be worth it for me to buy the adapter ($400-800) and then a powerful laptop ($1000-????) for me to gain full control nof the lights and set up my own triggers

or

can I do all this with the SD3 that I am currently using and just need some more training on it to figure out how to do this?

What are your thoughts?
I feel it's much easier to personalize a performance using a hands on console rather than a laptop. Just like you won't see a DJ running software using a mouse or touchpad, you need hands on controls to play it like an instrument. I enjoy watching a someone who can run a show on the fly without looking at the board.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.