Skip to main content

I have 8 ADJ 64 LED Pros, which I like. The director for a show is saying they aren't bright enough. I can sort of concur. But, seeing as how it's my money, it's a bit harder of a bite to chew, especially since I'd also be buying the additional lights out of my pocket.

The 64 LED Pros were pre-existing items.

Now, I have these 4 Chauvet Intimidator Color units, which I am not pleased with. To be nice, we'll leave it at that. One failed at my last show. These fixtures have less than 50 hours of total usage in the 3+ years I have had them, and despite being out of warranty, there are not enough hours to justify failure. These lights have to go.

What I am looking for is not really a replacement for my 64 LED Pros. What I want to find is a LED fixture that is affordable(to me) that I can use that would be a fairly suitable replacement for a 500-watt Par64. I'm thinking of getting 4, but 8 would be better. I can then use the LED 64 Pros to replace the fixtures I'm replacing.

All I need want is LED that has the following features:
RGB mixing
Dimming
I do need strobing.
Sound active in DMX would be nice.
Color macro function would be nice.

That would pretty much be a 7-channel like for like to the 64 LED Pro. Combination of some functions to a single channel would probably be OK.

A frequent poster here posted on the ADJ forum about the Opti Tri Par, the ELED RGB ZOOM and the DLED PAR ZOOM. As far as affordability, the ELEDT RGB ZOOM seems like it's more in my price bracket, but even so is quite a hit even at street prices for my limited wallet. Are there any other fixtures I should be considering?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Hey Chris, you should also probably check out the Opti RGB and the Opti Tri 30. Both are cheaper then the ELED RGB Zoom, but have less power output.

The Opti RGB 24x1w and comes with a 25 degree beam to start, optional 45 degree lens available.

The Opti 30 Tri comes with 21w total of tri-LED. It is a much smaller foot print then the Opti RGB. It comes with a 10 degree beam to start and optional 25 degree lens.

Both have all the functions you are looking for in a fixture.
Well, if they hold their own against regular 500-watt Par64's, then both are viable options.

In know a "which one is better" is a subjective and relative thing. I guess the bigger question is "what is the typical beam angle of a Par64" compared to the same beam from the ADJ 64 LED Pro. So, I have some research to do.

It does appear that, without doing any research, the Opti RGB would be the better choice due to the spread. With 25-degree angle, I can cover the entire stage with 4 lights from one side, then repeat with the other side.
Well, the Opti RGB would probably be closer to a 300w Par 56 lamp. As for beam sizes of Par 64 lamps, they are roughly as follows:

VN: 12 Degree
N: 14 Degree
M: 24 Degree
W: 50 Degree

Keep in mind they are rough numbers. Also remember that Medium and Wide lenses spread in an oval, not a circle. Here is a Cheat Chart for Par 64s. Granted, it is for 1000w, but the dimensions are the same for a 500w lamp.
Well, then I guess it comes down to, for my comparison purposes:

What does the 64 LED Pro compare to as far as output. I think once I know that, I think that may ultimately make my decision.

The director says she was pleased with the lighting I provided, so now the issue seems to be SOME color choices were too dark. So, maybe I don't need to get something better. But since I need to place 4 other fixtures for sure(because I hate them), and want to replace 2 others(to reduce power draw).

I have so many choices, ranging from cheap(ADJ P64's to just replace the set of 4), to replacing the 8 P64 LED Pros and re-deploying them as a replacement for the 4 I am replacing, plus a blacklight and a pair of new wide wash lights....

Insane. I can't figure out bugetting until I know a bit more. I also have a pair of ribbon microphones to order.

The thing is, I don't need a zoom function, but it appears the fixture with the zoom is less expensive, for the Elation options that are considered a fair run for a tradtional 500-watt par64.

So, now I'm just as confused as before but at least now I can see a path to "enlightenment".
Hi John.

Yes and no. Things are progressing rather well in regards to this topic.

Serra Ava's advise has been pretty good. I'm also working with the dealer I now exclusively buy all my lighting from. Now that I have pricing for both the ELED RGB ZOOM vs. the Opti Tri Par(which were the two leading choices), the Opti Tri Par appears to be what I will be going with. Due to budgetting issues, the purchase has to be postponed until end of March at the earliest. This will give 2 months before a show in May that these will be needed for.

Jingles has sent me the profile for the ELED RGB Zoom, which I've examined and the fixture would work. It has the RGB mixing, a master dimming channel and strobe capability.

The Opti Tri Par, according to the manual, is a straight drop-in replacement for the ADJ 64 LED Pro. While this makes my programming easier, it's not a concern. Regardless of what I buy, I will be redoing all the programming anyways for the new fixtures.

I know that due to forum rules, there are certain things I cannnot discuss here, such as pricing. Fortunately, pricing issues, while a concern, will not be a factor in the end result because regardless of which direction I go, budgetting will allow me to go either way.

However, if you have any advise or recommendations to contribute, I'm "all ears" and definately willing to listen to yet another qualified opinion. By March, budgetting will be a bit flexible if need be.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.