Skip to main content

Hi everyone!

i am trying to create some fixture profiles on the magic 260.

what i have is some of these:
* adj MegaPanel LED
* adj MegaBar 50 RGB
* adj 64P LED PRO
* adj REVO Sweep
* adj Quad Gem DMX

as i could not find presets for all of them on the website and tried to create them on my own.
now i spent about one day and the software drives me crazy.
i tried 3 different PCs (win7 x64, winxp prof, winxp home)
with a fresh fixture edit, whenever i change a channel name (e.g. to 'Dimmer') and go to 'Save fixture' i get:

Run-time error: '5'
Invalid procedure call or argument.

i used 'Dependency Walker' to find missing dll's
so far i added these missing dll's:
* bcrypt.dll
* dwmapi.dll
* ieshims.dll
* ncrypt.dll
* efsadu.dll
* wer.dll
sadly it didn't help.

i am quite sure it has to do with the ChNameDown.fix and ChNameSet.fix files (or the EditChName Form)
To be more clear: when i load an existing fixture profile and then save it, there is no problem.
but if i just klick on a single 'Channel Name' and try to save it - the software crashes.

funny thing is, that i was able to create and upload 2 fixtures already, then the problems started. now i can't get it running on any of these machines. what did i do before so it was working???

also: when i go to EditChName and press 'Init' there are some small changes happening (e.g. "Color 1" changes to "Color1" etc.)

i uninstalled, deleted the C:\Program Files\Magic260 folder, reinstalled, did overwrite MSCOMCTL.OCX with the older version provided by the setup and lots of other things - no chance

is there anything i can do? are there presets for the mentioned fixtures so i can at least use those?

thanks for any help!
yours, hannes

p.s. it took me ages to realize, the ulink-driver provided on your website did not work at all (it installed properly without any issues - on win xp and win7)

the error was:

Usb Device Is Error
Device Don't Find,Please Cheak Device

when i did a driver update using the windows drivers it suddenly worked.
Original Post
hui - version 1.20 of magic 260 program uploader seems to have a lot of problems.

i now found the version 1.09 (which is only found on the product overview page!) and it seems to work on that one.
i can now create profiles without crashing when i save the profile.

i am not a vj but a am a software engineer and sorry but I have to do some review:

• supplying (very) instable software (i'd call v1.20 alpha -if not pre-alpha) as main download to a product like the mega 260 is NOT acceptable, especially if there is a stable version 1.09
  • as elation products offers only english manuals and software (and the partner is called American DJ) there should not be messages like the ones i mentioned in the previous post (as you may recognize i'm no native english speaker but still ; ) also on the device there are errors like "USB NO EXIST OR ERROR"
  • commercial software should at least be using exception handling and throw meaningful error messages.
  • on windows a setup should bring all necessary libraries
  • from the very start of the program you can see it's a visual studio project and it looks like it's the first the developers did. handling is crap (e.g. when editing tables of channel values you cannot use TAB or you have to press on 'Step DMX' else it won't set the value. if you scroll the list, the entry currently edited scrolls to different fields etc.)
    you also need to be lucky to find the 'EditChNames' option as i did not see any usable help or documentation telling me this.
  • providing a driver for the ulink cable is nice, but although it does install without any problems it didn't work on three different machines and operating systems (i didn't try vista, but treads in this forum tell vista64 has the same issue). even windows XP offered a working driver after an automatic driver update, so there is no reason to provide a faulty driver on your website.
  • i cannot find any of my fixture profiles as download. the support on the forum seems good and there seem to be enough profiles already made by the support team - but why are they not available for download? at least for elation and adj products? sometimes you don't have time to wait until a support team sends you files that could easily life on the product support page.
  • last but not least. why is there no software to create scenes and shows on the pc? it would make this product much more easy to use and improve the workflow enormously

this may all sound harsh, sorry. it also may be because it took me so much time to find the solution. maybe this post helps to get some of these things right (webpage downloads, docs etc.)

thanks, hannes
Last edited by joggl

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.