Skip to main content

Hello

Just got my midicon yesterday and hooked it up today, and the problems start:

Upon adding midi con cpompu-live software locked up when opened.

Restarted, and then found software update, updated to newest download June 2010 Compu-live.

Updated software and now when I open Elation 2006, instead start-up window as normal it is Sunlite Suite! Also the program bar at top has this name as well.

To make things better, everything is in french! What the hell is going on here?

To top it off, there is no midicon profile anywhere, or an image setup in the console folder, or ANY support for getting the midicon to work with compu-live. The manual it was sent with even says there is no support, but I was told it supported this program.

I really expected after waiting this long to get this piece of equipment the least you guys could have done is made a way for it to be used...
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Ok good it still detects the 04 hardware. I had though the midi con will work and save triggers on the unit however we do not have a midi map file for midi con. And I have been speaking with a developer of ours and I am not sure if they can make one for it. But like I said let me look into this in depth and test with my midi con and June 2010 install and I'll get back to you early next week when I know something.

Side note: have you checked out our new compu show software? It's the next generation compu software. There is a beta for download on the compu cue product page.
Sincerely,
Ya i'm sorry I forgot to mention. The compu show software will only recognize the new interfaces ( Compu Cue Basic, Compu Cue, Compu show SD and Compu Show SD+). So to use Compu show with lights you will need one of these interfaces. I know it may seem unfair to require new interfaces but the new software has many new features that needed new hardware to support it. Also the popularity of 64 bit operating systems also played a part in the decision to make new interfaces. I have yet to hear back from my development team about using midi con with compu live. And I will also check about your issues with compu live program. Thanks.
Sincerely,
Hey Jingles

Thanks for the phone call, really thought we might get somewhere after it, but only have more bad news to report:

1. Why is program still opening as Sunlite Suite? I have uninstalled and reinstalled 2 times with June download, saved and then opened, and it never opens as Elation Compu like it used to.

2. Went into starting parameters to check midi settings as asked. Clicked reset midi. Waited...waited, whole laptop locked up! Ctrl.alt.delete did nothing, had to hard power restart.

3. After full reboot, tried in starting parameters using the midi test. Nothing happens after window opens. Hit different keys on midicon, nothing. Hit ok button to close window, and it closes. Push anything on starting parameters after closing test midi, whole controller locks up. Tried hitting ok or cancel to get rid of starting parameters, but nothing ever happens. If I unplug the midicon, controller jumps back to life like nothing was ever wrong.

Now, restarted the controller yet again. Open midi test, hit a bunch of buttons on the midicon. Still see nothing in the window, but unplug the midicon from laptop before hitting ok. Then pops into the midi test window all the commands and values for the buttons I just hit. If I do not unplug the midicon, nothing show up in test window, if I do unplug it, then it shows up. This make 0 sense to me. If I then plug midicon back in to test again, it does not work unless I restart the whole program with unit plugged in before starting.

4. Shift right click on button to add midi control as instructed. Click option, says waiting for midi command, so I hit buttons on midicon, but window stays open as no command was send.

5. With midicon plugged in, controller runs at snail pace. Sometimes it wont do anything at all, but as soon as I unplug midicon, controller jumps right into whatever I asked it to do with no delay.

So, I am looking forward to other ideas I can try. Or is this midicon defective?

Also when we were talking you mentioned the encoder wheels wont work. Is that something that will be fixed, or something I am stuck with using the program you guys said it would work on? Major reason I bought the midicon was the thought it would actually work with this software, and it had encoder wheels. I could have bought an off brand units for 1/4 of the price if all I wanted was some push buttons and faders. When could I expect you guys to have a working midi map for this unit?

Like I have said before, why was this released so long ago, and yet there is nothing supporting it's use?
Hey anthony. Can you tell me the specs for your laptop? Also is there any way I could get you to uninstall and delete the SL2006 folder from your hard drive but not before saving your work files of course. and then Reinstall from this link: http://db.tt/w9LsPK
I am leaning towards their being a problem with your specific midi con. However I'll have to get with our service department aswell as our developer for the compu Live software. This may take some time but I am really trying to get this issue resolved for you.
Sincerely,
Tried something else...

I will work on backing up files so I can fully remove and re install program.

I hooked midicon up to another laptop, my mac with windows in parallels. Normally I run with this but it has been know to be unstable but figured worth a try.

I am running Sep 09 Compu06 Software on that one as it is nice and stable. I tried the shift right click in this and window would come up. I would hit button on midicon, and would get error "midi command is not assigned in the console". So I think it is getting some signal from the midicon, but it wont let me assign the buttons.
Hello James,

Thanks for the reply. What I'd most like MidiCon to do is assist on the programming side of things. For example, can I get it to take over a fixture's pan and tilt with the encoders and then record that into a scene or switch? Can I select multiple fixtures and use use the encoders to manipulate pan and tilt?

On the playback side, can I trigger steps within a scene or switch with it? Can I go forwards and backwards within a cycle on it?

Thanks
There is no midi control option for manipulating the channel faders in the button editor. Also on Compu Live the wheels on the midi con are not mapped as the midi function ability is not present on the live software.
The only thing I know that you can do from the questions you asked is you can use it for your "GO" buttons when playing a cycle. Also it is not even possible to trigger steps in easy step in a scene. Once you record steps they play in the speed that in which they recorded. Same goes for switches that use easy step too.

However compu show does ALL of this except trigger steps in easy step that just in general is not supported. so what interface do you have? You can upgrade with us for a discount to get a new compu cue or compu show interface. Look in the compu Show thread.
Sincerely,
Yeah, that is what I thought it was capable of. Is there any way to control pan and tilt in the button editor that is not using the mouse? Could I set up a joystick or PC video game controller to do it?

On the ArtNet side of it, can I use my Enttec ODE to output ArtNet with CompuLive, or is there a special node that I need to use?

I have CompuLive 2048 installed in a couple of arenas, so upgrading doesn't make too much sense as it costs them extra and I'd have to reprogram everything that I've done for them already. Unless, is there a way to import shows into CompuShow from CompuLive? If this were possible, it would become much more feasible for me to do it.

Thanks again,

Chris

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.