Skip to main content

I was hoping to control the scenes of my DMX Operator via a midi Foot controller. The same I use for bringing up patches on my guitar rig. I have a few of them lying around and thought I could connect one to the midi-in on the DMX Operator. Assuming the mapping would be pretty straight forward with bank one of my foot controller controlling bank one of the DMX Operator, etc. But I can't seem to get it to do anything? I figured I just needed the midi channel set to same channel on both? Is this not possible? I want to be able to control scenes via foot controller during live performances. I sure hope it's possible. Thanks.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Also is there anything proprietary or unusual that Elation may have done with the wiring of the Midi-in jack? I know midi only uses I believe two of the 5 pins in a midi cable? wondering if that may be why I'm not getting results. I have built 8 scenes on bank 1 of the DMX Operator, but still not able to trigger them via a midi foot controller.
I'm not sure about the wiring of the jack, but this is how the midi triggering works on my DMX Operator 192.

The manual states this:

MIDI Note: Function:
0-11 Turn On/Of Chase 1-12
12-19 Turn On/Off Scene 1-8
20-49 Select Bank 1-30
50 Enable/Disable Audio
51 Enable/Disable Auto
52 Enable/Disable Blackout

So when the controller gets MIDI note 0 it will turn on chase 1, when it gets Midi note 12 it will turn on scene 1, etc. etc. So you foot controller needs to be able to send these specific MIDI notes. On your DMX Op, the notes may be a little different but they should be just about the same. So if you can program your foot controller to send these specific notes then it will work, but if not,then your out of luck.

Hope this helps!
jthtiger
jth,

thanks for the input. I think I have an idea now. I was sending program changes (as on my guitar rig), and i need to send individual note messages. So, I will dig through my midi manual to figure that out. Mine is a bit different on the note mapping, but similar idea. Your's does appear a bit more flexible than my DMX Operator. Thanks again. I should have this figured out soon.
Most pedals only transmit Program Changes and not Note

Numbers - Here's how to get around that:
I just got the MIDI Solutions "Event Processor" box. ($119

US)
It works like a charm! John, the designer at Midi Solutions

(midisolutions.com) was very helpful and really fast

replying to my several emails.

Here's how it works:
You first program it using your PC with a MIDI OUT port with

a really simple easy programming tool (free) you download

from their site. (You can do it now and test it out - I

did.)
(NOTE: If your PC doesn't have a MIDI OUT port, then you can

get a MIDI IN/OUT cable that you can plug into the game port

(Joystick connector) on your soundcard for $20)

Using the software, you "tell" the box to convert MIDI

PROGRAM Change messages to MIDI NOTE NUMBER messages. It

will do numbers 0-127 or 1-128.
(It can also do many other functions.)

You insert the box into the midi chain (in between your

pedalboard and DMX controller) and it intercepts the MIDI

transmissions and like any good hacker, changes them to

something you need it to do, in this case, converting the

Program Changes to Note Numbers.

I had 2 questions about the Software and how to make it do

what I needed. John walked me through it via email, and in

less than five minutes after the box arrived, it was up and

running!

I am using my PODXT Live pedal MIDI OUT to transmit Program

Changes (0-127)to the DMX Light Controller...and the "box"

converts them to Note Numbers (0-127). How easy is that?

The "box" is approx. 5 inches long, 3 inches wide and 1 1/2

inches thick. Your typical Radio Shack P-Box and weighs less

than a pound.
You can find them at any major outlet online and by all

means go to the website: www.midisolutions.com - don't let

the techno-capabilites scare you away from this easy to use

"box."

...And to think I almost bought one of those big honkin'

pedal boards!

DISCLOSURE: I told John that if his "box" works, I would

tout testimony to the user groups looking for a solution. It

works well. Thank you John.
Thanks Greg. Sounds like just the tool for converting those controllers without 'note-on' sending ability.
I do have one which is very versatile (Digitech PCM-10) and allows sending the 'note-on' messages needed. Though most controller don't as you stated. The info is good to know if I ever have to use one of the other 3 controllers I own which only send program changes. I presumed all of these would, but most don't!
One thing I have noticed is some inconsistency between the 5 lights I have used. Most are suppose to be identical (as a group) but sometimes I get some odd results from one or two. I need to make sure the setting on all are the same, or maybe consider doing a master/slave environment on any groupings. Just need to find time to sort and experiment with my setup. Plus I just acquired a couple more cans for my setup for a total of 7.
Thanks again Greg. That is a nice piece of hardware for folks to be aware of.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.