Skip to main content

We just got a lighting set for our church, and I'm a bit confused. (being the resident computer geek, I got stuck with volunteered to set it up--I understand electronic equipment setup and programming, but have never done anything with DMX devices)

We have a Scene Setter 24 with a pair of ED15 controllers.

Initially what we want to do is just be able to manually control each of the channels from the sliders on the board, with no timing involved. The manual doesn't seem to cover this at all.

Also, the manual mentions 12 factory preset programs, but there is no description of what they are. Is there a description of them someplace?

Thanks!
- John
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Sorry for the late response on these question guys, I will try to explain DMX addressing now.

The best way to describe DMX addressing is that it is like the postal system. First, you pick the address you want to send the letter to. Then the letter goes to the mail center, where it is sorted for delivery. Next, a mailman takes the letter and delivery's it to the address.

The first step in setting up DMX system is you patch your console (Pick the address you want to send commands to). Since you guys are both using Scene Setter 24s, you don't have to worry about this step, it is already done for you. Next, you have to tell the console what to do so it can send the commands (like the mail center). The mailman is like the cable, connecting the letter from the source (console) to the address (fixtures/dimmers). Lastly, your dimmers and fixtures need the correct address to get the commands (letters).

So in setting up your system, you need to pick what happens when you bring up fader 1, 2, 3, etc. Now here is were it gets a little complicated, some fixtures use more then one channel. (Think of the addresses as channels on your console, channel 1 being address 1, channel 2 address 2, etc). So for example, Elation's DLED 12 Brick uses 6, 12, or 15 channels. That means if you address it to channel 1, channel 1 would be red, channel 2 green, channel 3 blue, channel 4 special, channel 5 strobe, and channel 6 dimmer in 6 channel mode. If you address it to channel 5, channel 5 would be red, channel 6 green, channel 7 blue, channel 8 special, channel 9 strobe, and channel 10 dimmer.

For dimmers, the same thing applies. If you have a 4 channel dimmer and address it to channel 9, channel 9 would bring up dimmer 1 on the pack, channel 10 would bring up dimmer 2 on the pack, channel 11 would bring up dimmer 3, and channel 12 would bring up dimmer 4.

Now you can address lights and dimmers so that they use the same channels. Like if you have two 4 channel dimmer packs, you can address both to channel 1. Then when you bring up channel 1 on your console, dimmer 1 on both packs will come up. Likewise, if you have two DLED Brick 12s and address them both to channel 19, channel 19 would bring up red, channel 20 green, etc etc.

Hopefully this helps, any more questions feel free to ask. Would be glad to help and sorry again for late response.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.