Skip to main content

I'm a newbie so here goes. I have 3 octopod 80 sets. What is the profile for these on the Magic 260? there is an"Alkalite 6channel"profile, is this it? Daisy chain three pixel drive units via dmx to the controller, set up pixel drives to control all lights for one set and I can't get channel 2 Red, 3 Green, 4 Blue to manually mix. I get seemingly random colors Channel 1 set to zero and 6 set to zero. Help...
Manual for the octopods are no help and magic doesn't address this or the octopod 80s at all.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

hello lemon! welcome to the forums. i think the problem your running into is the magic 260 controls only 16 channels per fixture. so if u want to run all the octopods as individuals you would have to buy more pixel drives in order to achieve this. because to control one set of octopods individually u would need a console that allows up to 48 DMX channels per fixture. u see the pixel drive and all 8 pods are considered (as far as your controller is concerned) as 1 fixture in the DMX line. understand? so i recommend going for the DMX mode 4. the 12 channel operation cause that is all your controller will be able to handle per set of octopods. i hope this helps you out. if not let me know! peace! sincerely. jingles. p.s. welcome.
thanks for your reply, so far I can control all 8 pods on one "fixture" second group on 2nd "fixture". is there any way to assign one pod to one fixture? the magic has 24 fixture buttons so theoretically could it be programmed channel 1-6 as fixture 1; 7-12 as fixture 2, etc? it seems pretty logical. According to dmx language or does the pixel drive override this? in 48 channel mode it allows for this, 6 ch per pod.

Anyone else with experience or info?
Hi Lemon,
Yes.. right now, you can control each pod individually.
if you use the 48 ch. mode.
So each pod will be 6 channels each.
So pack 1 will start at 001
pack 2 will start at 049
pack 3 will start at 097

Ch 1 is rainbow
ch 2 red
ch 3 green
ch 4 blue
ch 5 strobe
ch 6 chase

If you use ch 6 to engage a chase of which you have 8 chases.
ch 1 becomes speed time, and ch2 becomes fade time.
hey lemon. no there is no way to assign one pod to one fixture button unless u have a pixel drive for each pod individually. now this is costly and would have very little point. if u want a led pod check out the design 36 led. like i said in my previous post that the pixel drive is recognized by your controller as one fixture and you will not be able to split up the pods unless u buy more pixel drives. sorry but this is how the octopods work. sincerely jingles!
Hi Jingles.. That's actually incorrect.
He can assign 1 pod per fixture button.
in the 48 channel mode, basically every octopod becomes its own fixture with 8 channels to operate.
so if he uses the alkalite profile on his magic he basically needs to set each fixture to be an alkalite fixture.
so if he has 24 fixtures then he has control of each pod.
Each pixel drive can be one fixture, two fixtures, 4 fixtures or 8 fixtures.

Best regards,
John,
Thanks for the help, that was the trick.
I drew it out as a diagram on paper and it helped tremendously and made it easier to program the controller too.

Jingles,
no biggie. I appreciate it.

Side note: For Elation- Maybe a compilation of single page sheets with quick programming info and channel guide and related functions for each of the elation products(lights, fog, movers, etc.) so you can have a binder at your console to help with programming.

Throw in some tips and tricks and a flow chart(blank) so you can write in your fixtures and channels, etc...
Last edited by lemonjello
Ok, this might be considered a gripe but the website calls the octopod 36 "small" and different dimensions, the octopod 80 is the exact same housing! the only big difference is the # of LED's . And of course related power used.

And they both home run to the pixel drive box. The previous octopod 30's daisy chained.

Nice for accent/uplighting in a ballroom and for wedding etc. The 36 and the 80 makes for an annoying run of cables since the the cables all home run. Means a bunch of extensions and a mass of cable by the time you get closer to the pixel drive...

Probably only a small segment of people with this issue but the daisy chain was a great idea.

Can this be brought back? Even a slightly larger gauge cable would be easier to manage than a bunch of small ones.

there are probably issues with voltage/current drop that I am not aware of so that could be the reason. Any thoughts?
quote:
Originally posted by Lemonjello:
John,
Thanks for the help, that was the trick.
I drew it out as a diagram on paper and it helped tremendously and made it easier to program the controller too.

Jingles,
no biggie. I appreciate it.

Side note: For Elation- Maybe a compilation of single page sheets with quick programming info and channel guide and related functions for each of the elation products(lights, fog, movers, etc.) so you can have a binder at your console to help with programming.

Throw in some tips and tricks and a flow chart(blank) so you can write in your fixtures and channels, etc...

I will throw that into developement.
Best regards,

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.