Skip to main content

I provide lighting for a band. I am using a DMX Operator Pro to manage my fixtures and dimmers. Right now we have 4 Intimidator 2.0 fixtures, 2 Chauvet DMX Meage Strobes, 2 par 64's, 8 par 56's, and 8 par 46's.

I am constantly trying to add to the show. I know that there is 8 channels for fixtures and 8 channels for dimmers. The dimmers I use can be set to 1, 2, or 4 channels. So, I can multiply the amount of cans easily.

The fixture side is set up in 16 channel blocks. The Intimidator 2.0 only uses 5 channels per scanner. That leaves 11 DMX channels for fixture block.

My question is, can you use those left over channels. Can I assign the first fixture to 1, the second to 6, and have a third 11? Or would it work to assign the first to 1 and a second to 8? Seems like it should work either way.

If my explanation of the scenario is insufficient, you can email me. bigkuntry69@yahoo.com

Thanks in advance for your help!
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

hello and welcome to the elation forums! now theoretically you can do this and it will work but however doin a straight patch will kind of cut down on some of the ease of some features. you will have to switch channel banks when programming 2 fixtures rather than hit the fixture button. and doing this will also make it that much harder to program all scanners at once. you will have to do it individually. i can think if more cons than prod of doin the addressing this way. BUT i suggest you try it and see how it works for u. sincerely,
Last edited by Jingles8302
I mostly program individually, but now I do see a problem... If the fixtures were stacked this way, grouping the lights for on the fly manipulation would be pretty impossible. I use that function quie a bit to cut down on programming, and the fact that there are only 8 fixture chases. You can use the same chase with a different color and/or gobo and create a very different effect.

One more question while I am at it. Is there any way to keep the lights grouped while changing scenes? With one scene selected, you can group and modify any combination of lights. However, when I go to a different scene, the grouping is cancelled. I use one bank for "spotlights" on the individual members and favorite rock out spots... lol I would love to be able to move through the scenes in that bank with the same grouping, but I have not been able to make it happen.

Thanks again in advance...

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.