Skip to main content

My lighting system is expanding and due to the length of the cable run, I am considering adding an Opto Branch. Reading several threads on this forum leads me to believe I should have added one a long time ago. Anyway, I am using compu live in a permanent installation and would like to run from the back of the room to the front (180 ft) then attach the Opto Branch to split between ceiling light racks and floor lights. Should the Opto Branch be as close to the DMX interface as possible or am I okay running the 180 ft before splitting? Also, is it a good idea to put a terminator on the last fixture of each output?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I would say do what is more convenient for cable runs. 180' is too bad but can get weak on a dongle which is why you are looking at getting a branch anyway.

As for terminating, doesn't hurt. Again, termination is something only needed in longer cable runs.Around 300 feet plus is when reflections start happening that a terminator can solve. For as cheap as they are however, think of them as cheap insurance.
NH,

I have just started using the Opto in my rig. I am using Compuware with my opto mounted directly into my portable rack then splitting from there. You Opto will basically run the same as if you had one cable from your interface starting you chain and running one chain to all you lights, but it will free up alot of the signal if you just run your floor lights from one output, say on a 200 foot cable to your first floor fixture, and run another 200 foot cable from the opto to your first ceiling fixture. I just ran two seperate chains on Saturday night and everything worked great, had 2 movers and 4 cans on each side and my movers worked ALOT faster than they have just making one chain with every fixture on it. And Serra was def right on the terms. They are less than 10 buck a piece and while I have never seen a real need for them, I have two just because they are so cheap, why the hell not, cant hurt right Smiler
I got an Opto Branch/4 over a year ago, maybe almost 2 years now. What a major logistics issue resolver as well as addressing other issues. I also make my own terminators, only cost me around $5 each when I make them myself because I use expensive Neutrik connectors! I can easily shave $2/terminator by using cheaper stuff. I currently have 5 terminators and 1 terminator/basic tester in inventory.

For the shows I am doing these days, I would need a lot more cable for DMX and it would take a lot longer to set-up(and strike). Now, not to say I don't still need more DMX cabling, but by having 4 runs of DMX to 4 different areas, it's make my life significantly easier. Plus, I'm using the American DJ MyDMX hardware, so I front end everything with computer software running first into the Opto Branch/4, and now I have a nice strong signal running down all my splits

Right now, I'm in a process of re-racking certain gear(mainly wireless), and that will leave me with a bunch of open rack space behind my stage box, so changes are good another OptoBranch/4 will end up in that rack.

Anyone who is serious about their lighting needs to get either the OptoBranch/4 and/or the DMX Branch/4. For what they cost and what they can do, the argument is very difficult as to find a way to convince yourself to NOT get one.

Even if I can't clear rack space(which really won't be a problem right now), then I'll get a DMX Branch/4.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.