Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I realize this is an old thread, but in talking with a pro lighting guy from Nashville last night, I've come to believe that both "tap" and "Elation_Pro" are incorrect about the Opto-Branch 4.

1. You CAN use the DMX Thru port to continue on to other DMX receivers, but standard DMX rules apply (no more than 32 devices on the line, terminate the last fixture on the link, etc). The splitter is just seen as a receiver on the line; nothing more or less.

However, if something takes this line down, all the split lines will go down as well, so it's probably best to limit what is downstream of the Thru port. This is why we opto split in the first place... redundancy.

2. The manual gives every indication that there are only 4 isolators in the unit, not 8. Therefore, using both the 3-pin and 5-pin connectors from a single output actually amounts to using a DMX Y, which is not allowed by DMX standard. This *might* work but could potentially introduce issues.
I have to agree with you stoke. If I had been on the forums when you wrote this, I would have posted otherwise.

You are correct in that the thru port can be used to add other DMX devices, be it dimmers, movers, leds, or another split.

You are also correct in that you can use both the 3 and 5 pin outputs in a pinch on the same 'branch'. I have done it myself a few times, but would not recommend it. It was a last minute add of some equipment and no time to get another split.
2. The manual gives every indication that there are only 4 isolators in the unit, not 8. Therefore, using both the 3-pin and 5-pin connectors from a single output actually amounts to using a DMX Y, which is not allowed by DMX standard. This *might* work but could potentially introduce issues.

This is a good observation.. I am running this up the flag pole with our engineers.

Best regards,
Wow! This is my old thread. I did purchase this unit,and i HAVE used the "Thru" output,and doubled up on the 3 and 5 pin outs with absolutely NO PROBLEMS!!! This box is great because it allows me to split my fixture Stage left/right without having to run cross stage patches for my fixtures reducing the chances of somebody tripping on DMX cables!
Here is an answer I recieved regarding the OPTO branch 4

In regards to the Opto Branch-4 and DMX Branch-4, it should be no problem to use all outputs at the same time. Yes, there are 4 opto-couplers that isolate each output but there are individual DMX drivers for each 3 & 5 pin XLR output connector… 8 total. So it is not the same as using a DMX “Y”.
Elation_Pro, I've got one more question for your engineers, then: do the DMX drivers on the shared iso outputs pass voltage between them? If so, then if one goes out, the other also goes out.

For instance, let's say you have a scroller cable that goes bad. These pass both power and data through the same cable. If it shorts out, you'll be sending a voltage down the data line and probably take everything down on at least that one line. What will happen to the other line on the shared output?
It all depends on the type of voltage being passed through the cable. If it’s low voltage say 8-40VDC, you’d probably never experience more than a single driver going out. If it’s high voltage, then there is a chance that both drivers on the same output could go with the possibility of losing other components within the output circuit.
Hello, i know this is an old thread but rather than start another on i figured i could piggy back onto this one. I recently had a problem with my compuware dongle and from that i learned about using a dmx opto splitter / booster. I ran across 2 elation products that seem to be what i need, just wondering what the difference is between the opto branch 4 and the dmx branch 4 ? Both from elation, the specs on both appear to be the same.
Only obvious difference is one is a single space 19" rack mountable the other is slightly bigger, and mostly the price. Any advice ?
Thanks, Alex

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.