Skip to main content

Hi everybody,
It has been about a year since I’ve been on this forum, and I’m still using the 04’ software but I have a couple of questions…

Here is my dilemma. I want more control! I am the lighting director for my church and we do a lot of theatrical and concert type lighting. I use the 04’ version of Compuware because I know it front and back plus it seemed more reliable than the newer versions (haven’t currently worked with them lately). It works great for theatrical type services, but for live/on the fly type deals I use the software in a completely different way and use hotkeys and preprogrammed changes like crazy to accomplish what I want. Still since we rent equipment often for big events and are planning to add new equipment it will become too hard for me to control lots of fixture in this type of manner. I need some type of grandmaster fader, real time speed and fade adjustments, and if possible more programmable buttons.
Like I said I do a lot of live/on the fly type work, but I don’t like the idea of going to an analog type lighting console. I love the feel of the software and how it lets you visually work but I still need some type of physical tools to work efficiently. I have already used up every key on the keyboard(lowercase and capital + signs), so I need some type of fader, cue, or bump buttons that I can use separate from the keyboard.
My thinking was to use an additional DMX or MIDI control surface with faders and programmable buttons in conjunction with the software to achieve what I’m looking for. But I haven’t found much on this topic. My first guess is that I can use some type of midi fader board, this would solve the master fader, speed adjustments and maybe some type of bump/flash buttons, but I have yet to see a simple one that doesn’t have all kinds of random eq’/aux knobs or gain/trim knobs.(I’m also one of the FOH mixers…)

If it helps I did find these online:

This one is kind of pricy and I don’t know if it will be compatible with the software <http://at.or.at/hans/writing/BuildingYourOwnInstrumentWithPd/Doepfer_Pocket_Fader.jpg> (but is almost exactly what I’m looking for)

This is a more similar idea but I couldn’t find prices or specs…
<http://at.or.at/hans/writing/BuildingYourOwnInstrumentWithPd/Doepfer_Pocket_Fader.jpg>

Also our current intelligent setup is: 4 moving heads (2xwash250’s+2xspot250’s), 23 color changers (Rainbow 250’s from American DJ… yes I know), 4 LEDpar36’s, and 1 single channel hazer. On top of this I am using an old school conventional board to control 12 conventional channels.
This is our bare bone system but we constantly rent gear for big events and we are planning to purchase new lighting… so I am going to need another universe sometime within the next year or so.
I am already planning on upgrading to the new software and hardware but curious as to if you guys have any input…

Thanks in advance and sorry for the lengthy post...
Latez
“Mic-Out”
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I have never heard of anyone using out board controls for CompuLive before, so it might be something you just have to experiment with. Someone has to be the guinea pig Smiler.

I hate to say it but it sounds to me like you might be moving beyond the limits of the software. You might want to look into something more powerful like a SD2 or SD3.

After that, you really move up the pole to stuff like the Ion or Hog PC. Things like the the ability to add universes as you need them, up to 4 monitors, touch screens, adding fader/playback wings, programming wings, etc etc. Elation doesn't have anything quite like that yet, though I am hoping Big Grin.
I've heard of that controller. Can I use it with the old software(04') and dongle (single output) if I find a way to get midi into the computer or does it have a USB conection?
Also since it has moterized faders does it respond to when things are changed inside the software or does it have a lag refresh problem?
also can I program all grand masters to one fader in addition to single master for each light page?

Thanks for the reply!
Latez
"Mic-Out"
Mic-online, welcome to the forums. to answer your question if you dongle does not have a DMX in you will not be able to hook up an external DMX controller. sorry. but there is always midi. also the newest version of the software i believe is compatible with the dongle you own. which one do you have? compu Pro? is it red? let me know. also the BCF2000 is GREAT for this software, and there is a emulator built in to the software. if you see a midi control board icon towards the top of your page click it and it should come up. let me know if you have any more questions. sincerely,
our dongle is acually clear in a long rectangle shape. If I remember right he had it sent up to get a new software update for the 04' verion....
Oh and is the emulator on both the 04' and 06-08' version or just the newer one? havn't looked yet, and if it is does it stay on the screen or can you get ride of it to have more work space?

Thanks to all for the help!
Latez
"Mic-Out"
The live toolbar is what you need if you are wanting a grand master for the mouse. To do this on an external midi board, right click on the dimmer in the live toolbar and select "link to midi controller". When you select this function, click the fader on the virtual console you want to be the master fader. The fader will now work as the grand master for that page. If you want a grand master for all pages, make a scene in the master page that controls just the dimmer channels and repeat the process.
Justin
Okay, So I wan't to get the new software because of its features + I wan't to have full easy view operation. They only difference i see in the FC and FC+ is an ethernet out difference. What do the ethernet out numbers mean? (eg. 4-512, 40-512

And since I won't be using the DMX in, can I use it for an additional universe? Does that cable cost or is it included

Thanks for the Chart, I didn't know there where that many!
the Ethernet numbers mean the number of universes and the number of channels in each universe. so 4-512 means there are 4 Ethernet universes. and the 40 means 40 Ethernet universes! so ya lots! lol. yes the dmx in can be reversed for a second dmx universe. you can buy a DMX female to female plug. or DMX gender something i forget the name. but ask me later how to turn on the in as a out. and also the two crossed out are not available anymore those were discontinued. sincerely,

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.