Skip to main content

We have two powerspot 575's and after being installed for a week have started blowing fuses one after another. I have them plugged into our house dimming system (ETC Sensor Dimmer's) but have the dimmers set to always on and have tried every way to turn them on and not blow a fuse.

They usually get about halfway through the self check when they turn on and then the fuse blows.

Any thoughts? Very frustating since they are flown 30 ft up and we have to get a lift out everytime it blows a fuse....

I am using the SD2 for the controller as well.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I will try, however I am out of fuses at this point. (where can I get more?) I am positive the dimmers are supplying enough power however as they were running a 750 watt source 4. Also they were able to run our christmas eve program no problem (6 straight hours of running) and have since started the problem. I have heard the tranny can cause theses symptoms as well...
Ouch, red alert. Sorry I wasn't around tho read this earlier, working on stuff for the President right now. Anyway, YOU CAN NOT PLUG ANY MOVING LIGHT INTO A DIMMER, PERIOD.

I have explained the reasoning bhind this before on here. I will try and dig up the thread so you can read through it. Get those plugged into wall power as soon as you can, and don't ever run them again off a dimmer. Even though the dimmer is full on, it still butchers the power which in turn hurts the light. This is the reason the fuses are blowing. They are doing what they are there to do, protect the light.
Thanks Serra
I was able to talk with Andrew over the phone. We always recomend against installing intelligent lighting on dimmers however there are many customer who still believe it is ok.
I believe ETC makes power modules spefically for intels, but i'm not sure. I asked him to call ETC on that.

But, if you can find anything against installing on dimmers for our forum it would be awesome!

Thanks.
SerraAva - You said you shouldn't plug them into a dimmer pack but a switch. MOST dimmer pack can run in either dimmer or switch mode. so as long as it is in switch mode it should be fine.

I still wouldn't recommend doing that though, personally equipment like that I like to be plug into a power filter (well I don't have intelligent lights but thing like that) anything sensitive to voltage change use in a concert environment is best to plug in to a power filter.
Just because it has a switch mode doesn't mean that it bypasses the SCR and Choke in a dimmer. That is what causes the damage, and also acts as the switch. The sign wave is still effected even at 100% or on.

Technically though, a dimmer is never fully off. They all leak a volt or two.

As for a power filter for movers, not necessary. Most are electronic ballast now a days and can use any voltage from 90v-250v. Even magnetic ballasts can handle a slight range in power. If anything, you should power condition anything that is on the same circuit as a mover, same power leg in some cases. Lighting is very robust, its the video and audio guys that have the power issues Big Grin. Roll this and ground hum that.
I have exactly the same problem with a two of my DS 575Es. I have 20 of them and only 2 exhibit the problem . All the spots are plugged into ETC dimmers parked at full. The two in question run fine without blowing fuses while sitting on their bases, but when I hang them upside down, they blow their fuses on start up..... some times. They will fire fine for a week or so then one day they will not. Also it does not seem to happen at the same place in the initialization cycle. Weird. ??
Hi Dano30 and welcome to the forums.

Your problem, most likely, is do to the fact that they are plugged into dimmers. You are lucky you are only losing fuses. Dimmers, even parked at full, still dim because they are still run power through the choke. Unless you have non-dim, switch, or Sine Wave modules, plugging them into dimmers isn't good for the fixtures.

For example, a theatre around here once rented 13 Mac 700s. Well, they plugged them into dimmers and then end up returning them early because 'they weren't working right'. Needless to say, when they got back to the rental shop, about half of them were fried. They ended up having to replace a bunch of internals. Now 700s use a lot more power then 575s, so might be why you are lucking out and only loosing fuses. My advice, get them off the dimmers ASAP.
Are we talking about Elation Design Spot 575LE's?

Intelligtent fixtures should NEVER be run through a dimmer, switching, relay or power pack. EVER. Intels have(or almost always) have a shutter, iris or an internal dimmer to cut off the light beam. On my Chauvet Q-Spot 150's, which are moving yoke fixtures, the bulb stays on, and I use a shutter to cut the light off. Knowing what I do now, I'm requiring a dimming function on all moving heads. I do not connect these to dimmer packs.

I agree with Serra Ava, as you're lucky all you're losing are fuses. You're super lucky you're not losing more of the electronics.

Listen to what Serra Ava is saying. Get them OFF dimmers completely. Your maintenance budget will thank you for not being used!
I finally figured out my problem. And yes it does have to do with being on dimmers. However in this case I put a scope on the dimmers out put and ran the dimmer to full. The trace was a perfect sine wave. Hmmmm. I left the dimmer parked at full and the scope on it then I ran up the dimmers around it (on the same raceway) and the trace got just plain ugly. Thats when I realized that there were 180 current carrying conductors jammed into a 4 inch raceway. The inductance being generated in there must be tremendous. I took the moving lamps in question off that raceway and plugged them to some circuits that weren't involved with that raceway. I parked the dimmers and used the moving lights for 16 hours without incident .Those lamps have been in their new location for 5 days and have done 3 shows without incident. Every so often I put the scope on the outputs just to reassure myself that I've still got a sine wave. Thank God that Elation had the good sense to protect their electronics properly. Thanks
Dan.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.