Skip to main content

Hi, I just bought elation dmx operator pro controller today and I have atleast 4 scenes setup, but the only thing that has me grabbing my hair is how the heck do I make them fade...lets say I want to go from scene 1 to scene 2 and it fades between them...or how do I fade the scene out instead of it doing blackout when you press the seen button...that is my only problem with this controller..other than that it is like icing on the cake to run.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Read page 27 of your manual. I think it addresses your issue. It's not totally clear to me, but it appears to adddress the fade between scenes issue you have, but it is describing this more in regards to chases.

Hitting the blackout button results in an IMMEDAITE blackout. It's how the console is designed. If the above idea works, then if you want a "fade to blackout", you'll need to program your own blackout scene and then set your speed fader and select your blackout scene.

A lot of assumption. Hope some of it works out.
I doubt this is possible, but something for ADJ and Elation as well as other companies to consider:

In a few products I work with in IT, I have product emulators, that allow me to work with an emulation of the product without actually having the product itself. Sort of like MyDMX in DEMO mode, but costs about 100 times more. But, like DMX, it's the real deal, except there are "models" I can plug in and tweak to emulation what's going on.

I would like to think it would be possible to do a software ONLY(can't work real-world, it's only a simulation) of various low to mid-range controllers, that includes a basic 3D visualizer and a very narrow range of fixtures it can work with(say, a bank of cans, 1 moving type fixture, 1 other intel and 2 hi-tech FX, such as a centerpiece or something). This isn't a lot to work with, but if it can emulation programming scenes and showing how the console works, that might help steer purchases or at least help guide people to the right product.

What do you think? I bet it isn't worth the development dollars though.
I'm a audio engineer having to do lighting as well.

Moving from a DMX Operator to MyDMX, one of the whines many users had was "there's no blackout button/key", and many users also were offended at having to make a blackout scene. Gee, it is as simple as clicking the "New Scene" button and then setting a fade time, and 1 loop. Wasn't all that difficult.

From an operator's perspective and not knowing a lot about the higher end consoles or other DMX software packages, I would find it the norm for the operator or designer to program a blackout scene. It just makes natural sense to me.

But the DMX Operator Pro is not a high end console, it's in the lower end of the spectrum. It does have a blackout button, but it's also a "snap to blackout" function. One could just as easily reserve Bank 1, Scene 1 to be the blackout scene. This fixture doesn't give you super precise control over transition speed, but using the speed fader, you can at least have some degree of control from "fast to slow", which is often good enough.

The Orignal Poster is definately not quite happy with how the console works and is trying to ask it to do something that it can do, but requires a bit of thinking outside the box. The problem is that when a new user buys a bit of gear, it doesn't occur to them all that they would really want to do with it, especially when their creativity starts to flow. More experienced users would either know this up front and know how to find answers ahead of time because the retail sales guys can't possibly remember all this stuff.

The more experienced guys have usually moved onto better gear, usually out of necessity. For me, moving from my very affordable DMX Operator to equally affordable MyDMX has really helped me out in multiple aspects of lighting. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad I bought the DMX Operator, but within the course of 2009, I've gone from needing it as a fall-back option, to now recently no longer carrying it and relying only on MyDMX.
thank you guys for all your help, I was able to figure it out, took me like 2 and 1/2 hours of pressing buttons (my favorite thing to do hehe) i just went to go get the mail and guess what I saw, the instructional dvds, thanks Jingles this will help the new users out alot...I am training 4 guys how to use this console for the sunday services. This is the best support I have had in my life. If I were to give a rating for you guys I would give a 10 any day. I will also recommend you guys to all my other lighting techs in theatre!!!
contraclutch: I also recently purchased the Elation DMX Operator Pro and am having difficulty figuring out how to smoothly transition between scenes.

I noticed in the post above you mentioned that you figured out how to do this after spending 2 1/2 hours of button pushing, but you never gave your instructions on how to do it.

Could you post your instructions on how you determined to fade out smoothly or transition smoothly from one scene to the next?

Thanks man. I appreciate any help you could give.

Your Brother in Christ.
quote:
Originally posted by BillOfHCC:
contraclutch: I also recently purchased the Elation DMX Operator Pro and am having difficulty figuring out how to smoothly transition between scenes.

I noticed in the post above you mentioned that you figured out how to do this after spending 2 1/2 hours of button pushing, but you never gave your instructions on how to do it.

Could you post your instructions on how you determined to fade out smoothly or transition smoothly from one scene to the next?

Thanks man. I appreciate any help you could give.

Your Brother in Christ.

ok this is the way that I did this...press and hold the record button until the green led lights up next to it.

then select one of the 8 scene buttons...

now program your light cue in to this...by setting the scene to what you like...press record...

repeat this for any other remaining scenes that you may have.

now on to setting the fade/speed for your scene cues

press and hold the record button until the green led next to it lights up...

now select one of the eight chase buttons...

then press one of the programmed scenes you recorded in the previous steps...

(hint for this to work with scenes longer than 10minutes...record only 1 step per chase...otherwise after 10minutes it will advance to the next step...)

after selecting your scene that you want to have fade up adjust the speed pot(fader) to your desired setting...and also adjust your fade pot(fader) to your desired fade up time...

then press record. repeat for any remaining scenes you might have...(also you may want to program a blank scene/chase for a fade out to black. rather than having to use the black out button...it has made it easier for us to use the fade to black.)

the only thing that i noticed when doing this on multiple pages was that it would add to the previous pages chase setting...not sure how to fix this yet...but if you only use 8 scenes you should be fine for your service...

also when going from 1 chase to the next deselect the previous chase...

another way you could do this is when you have selected your chase scene...wait for it to totally fade up then select the corresponding scene button(ex. chase 1 press scene 1...only if you programmed it so that scene 1 and chase 1 are the same light setting..)after selecting the corresponding scene button...select your next chase scene button...then press the corresponding scene button...

repeat for the remaining chases that you have...

I hope this helps you alot..

Your Brother in Christ
Last edited by contraclutch

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.