Skip to main content

Purchased the Scene Setter 48 in late 2006. Started to have problems with one of the faders which currently does not function at all. And also having problems with about 4/5 of the bump buttons- no more "spring" in the bump. This all began around fall 2007, just before 1 year of usage. Keep in mind that I take very good care of things and I especially did so with this- it stays clean and free of excessive dust, stays covered, doesn't get abused or moved, nothing's been spilled on it, etc.

Called Elation to take advantage of the 2 year warranty. Told me I need to send back the controller and pay for shipping out of my own pocket. However I cannot do this because then I would not have a controller to run the show- unless I rented one, which is more money out of my pocket?

Now I'm considering buying a 2nd Scene Setter 48 to use while the current one gets fixed, and then perhaps keep it as a backup. Although I'm quite hesitant due to the problems with the one I have now- which only took a year to occur. What should I do? Try another brand such as Leviton/NSI?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I always recommend the DMX Operator 192. Very good console. But since you are using the SS-48, i assume you are not using intelligent fixtures and running the classic PAR Can rig. I am correct? I still might recommend the DMX op. 192 because if you set it up right then you can still do the conventional lighting. Give me a little more information of the rig you have and I'll try to find a good console.

jthtiger
I think I'm going to stick with the DMX Operator 192. It will work if you set it up right. If you decide to get one, e-mail me and I'll tell you how to set up your rig to get the most out of the controller (just addressing your dimmers, not changing any placements) I have an idea to get it to work just right! Let me know if you want to!

jthtiger2010 AT yahoo DOT com
(*separated for spam bots*)

jthtiger

P.S. Welcome to the Forums!!!
Regarding your edit:

Over 2 years of constant use things can get that way. My church owns a stage setter-48 and the only problems we are having with it, is the faders are starting to not work properly. Who knows, maybe you did just get a "dud" but Elation has been the best company I have ever seen, as far as quality, for the price they have!

jthtiger
quote:
Originally posted by jthtiger:
I think I'm going to stick with the DMX Operator 192. It will work if you set it up right.

Thanks for your suggestion but that controller does not provide the same type of functionality as the SS48. I need to have easy access to multiple faders, like 48 or more. The show I run has alot of improv and things can change quickly. Having access to many faders and bumps are essential.

Besides, from what I can see about the Operator 192 (from a Google search) it's more of an intelligent light controller. This rig is all conventionals.
quote:
Regarding your edit:

Over 2 years of constant use things can get that way. My church owns a stage setter-48 and the only problems we are having with it, is the faders are starting to not work properly. Who knows, maybe you did just get a "dud" but Elation has been the best company I have ever seen, as far as quality, for the price they have!

jthtiger

Well if you're starting to have fader issues just after 2 years then I'm thinking this might not be a dud. How many faders are you having a problem with? And what exactly is the problem?
quote:
Originally posted by jingles:
well if your controller is broken and you cant afford to get it fixed or buy/rent a new one, your kinda stuck then huh? have you decided to buy another SS48? i really believe you got a bad seed. it happens to the best of us. sincerely,

Right now I'm trying to decide between buying another SS48 for $400, or an NSI 7024 for $800. Then sending back the current SS48 to get it fixed (still under 2 year warranty). Then when it comes back, I would keep it as a backup- if I buy another SS48; or sell it, if I buy the NSI.
Hi World.. Elation guy jumping in here.
in the world of consoles in general the faders and buttons you commonly use will need to be replaced sometime or another.. sometimes sooner than later.

With the Elation consoles we strive to use the good components to do the Job and not the best component made.. That is why you will see some lighting consoles for alot more money than the Elation product, and some consoles for less money.

We believe our consoles are a great value for the price.
However keep in mind that even lighting shows that use $30,000.00 consoles still have a second console with all the programs waiting to go as a back up.

A back up console is always a smart way to go, if your show must go on.

The Elation 2 year warranty is one of the better warranty's in the market right now. But our warranty only covers manufacturer defect and not necessarily wear and tear. Also its a 2 year parts and 1 year labor warranty so if a year has past, then you may need to pay for the labor.

On the other end, if your technically inclined, it may benifit you to purchase the faders and buttons your self and attemp a repair.
These are commonly sold parts.

Considering you go with an $800.00 console, and that console also gets a bad fader and or button in 1 year.. you are still going to be in a position to pay for shipping to the manufacture to repair and your parts will be more expensive.

No one can say exactly how long electrical equipment will last..Out of the thousands of Scene Setters sold a large percentage of these consoles last 5+ years without service at all in very poor conditions without the care you give your console.

Personally I have gone through 2 $100.00 DVD players that fail within 6 months also in really good enviorments.

I would recommend that a second scene setter 48 will be a good investment as a back up. Chances are this one will last you a long time and you will have a back up in case something happens.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
quote:
Originally posted by Elation_Pro:
The Elation 2 year warranty is one of the better warranty's in the market right now. But our warranty only covers manufacturer defect and not necessarily wear and tear. Also its a 2 year parts and 1 year labor warranty so if a year has past, then you may need to pay for the labor.

How is it determined that problems are caused by manufacturer defects VS. wear & tear? The fader I'm having a problem with has barely been used, and the bumps that have lost their spring are the ones hardly used as well. BUT how can I prove this?

What might potentially be the labor cost for repair of these? Now I'm thinking that in addition to the shipping costs it might not be worth sending it back for repairs... Can a regular lighting shop fix something like this pretty easily?
quote:
Originally posted by worldcreator:
quote:
Regarding your edit:

jthtiger

Well if you're starting to have fader issues just after 2 years then I'm thinking this might not be a dud. How many faders are you having a problem with? And what exactly is the problem?

Oh No, We have had this controller for over 10 years (i think. . .at least 7). The problem is that when you push some of the faders up to 100% it skips down to 30% and flashes around. It is kinda hard to explain. You push it up and it hits 100 then jumps back and forth between 30 and 100. Does that make sense? We just need another one.

About the 192 not being satisfactory, you would have fast control over lots of faders. All you would do is it one button, and then change the faders. There are a few things that I can see this being a problem with, so I guess i'll just suggest you buy another console.

jthtiger

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.