Skip to main content

Ok,

next step with our show is snow in one of our songs. I don't know anything about snow machines, how they work, what they use, etc... I see theres a couple different ones offered by elation (antari, or whatever)...

I'm interested in distance, area covered, stuff like that. Does it shoot up into the air and fall like snow?

What do you use in the machine? does it dissolve or remain on the ground... I don't want club owners strangling me after every show hehe.

We want to make sure it covers our stage and preferably the crowd.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

hey nick,
my church has a snow machine, but is has been a long time since we have used it. If i remember correctly the one that we have (not sure of the brand) just shoots like foam pretty much. I think it will shoot it in the air but it is much better if put it up high and let it fall, like mount it on a truss.
yes it will cover everything and i think the mixture is just soap and water BUT don't quote me on that as it has been a LONG time since i have even touched one.

jthtiger
I built one that we used for a snow fx for a small play it used potato flakes and a little glitter. It worked great but did not cover a large area. You can also rig a snow drop using to pipes and a border if you have rigging in the space. Our actual machine uses a mixture of MrBubbles and rubbing alcohol it has a large vacuum motor that shoots the mixture thru a sock like net to form foam. The alcohol makes the bubbles dissolve and dry out quick. It is the loudest FX we own.
As a lighting guy, I must state my strong loathing of snow drops. The stuff gets everywhere, and it gets on the lights, which it melts to. It then makes a nice burning plastic smell each time you turn them. It also looks horrible on the lights, and never comes off without damaging the paint job, light, etc.

Other issues with it, you must sweep the stuff up vs it dissolving into nothing. It can also get into other things, like lines for travelers, caught in the air and then fall at random times in the show. My advice is avoid it, more hassle then it is worth.
so basically we are all saying this:

Snow. A cool effect but to much hassle. I like effect but the cons of it outweigh the pros. So I wouldn't do it in this setting. We used it at our church but we only have some pars and thats it. They weren't anywhere close to the snow machine so it was fine.

Thank you SerraAva for complimenting me. As I was typing that message i was thinking "I hope this is all correct, because it has been so long since I've even seen a snow machine"

jthtiger
Nick, All snow machines will leave some type of residue. All the guys are correct, the snow fluid is basically soap and water (with a few other added chemicals). The snow machines aerate this fluid to simulate the snow. When the fluid lands it will take a while for it dissipate, when it dissipates on black surfaces it will leave marks but it will not damage any surface. The S-200 by Antari has a quieter operation then all other snow machines on the market and it will shoot out about 25 feet when elevated.
Thus, Visage enters. He's been here for a year and is even a mod, but he quietly sits and waits!

I've been wondering who you were and you had no posts. I'm guessing you work for ADJ right?

Anyways, it all depends on personal preference. Just see how you like it. I've seen a lot of DJ's use them, but from the little that ive heard of your music (which is GREAT btw) i'm not sure if snow will go that well. BUT you may have a new song that will go great with it. like I said "personal preference"

jthtiger
well it sure will become something the crowd will remember. these things cost a lot of money though so I would think about it hard. Maybe find some vids? I think the only thing you may need to worry about is the residue on the stage, lights, and instruments.

Sorry visage, I didn't see what forums i was on, you work for elation! I know that now!

jthtiger

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.