Skip to main content

Hi all, I have a bunch of questions about a light system I was just elected to set up and control for a band my spouse is in. PLEASE HELP.

They have the following.

8 LED MBT lights (2 poles w/ 4 each)
2 Flash Shot DMX by American Lighting
1 Galaxian Lazer

SO my questions is this. They are currently using a foot switch to control the lights. Problem is they can only get them to be full on sync to the music or off.

They have a Stage setter 8 dimmer console but cant get it to work.

MY questions:

1) do we need dimmer packs?
2) how do I get the lights to be controlled individually by the console? I know I have to number them. (that's the problem I don't know how.)

3) Does anyone have a step by step guide that is user friendly. The info they have is very limited. NO manual came with the items.

Thanks for any and all help.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Hi. Welcome to the forums.
The Stage setter 8 is a a 8 DMX channel controller designed and intended for use with conventional dimmer packs with Par cans with halogen bulbs in them. you need a "bigger" controller. Here is why. The LED par cans are anywhere from 3-6 or 7 channel EACH. The flash shot DMX is about 2 or 3 DMX channels each. The Galaxian laser is 5 channels. so add that all up at minimum channels are you are using 33 DMX channels if you want to get individual control of all your fixtures.
Read this PDF: DMX 101.
but yes you will most definetly need a bigger controller. Have you considered a software program over a hardware controller?
Sincerely,
Hi My name is John,

I have a small mobile DJ company. I have the stage setter 8 with two dp-415 packs. I have 8 total par 36 cans and 6 small spot lights. I have them on two stand with one control pak on each. Each stand has 4 par lights and 3 spots. They all function, but not indvidually. I have my dip switches set to 1 & 3 to on. The lights are control 3 spot with channel 5 dimmer, 3 spots with channel 6 dimmer 4 par cans with channel 7 and the last 4 par cans with channel 8. I guess I don't understand the setting with the control pak on/off switches. I have read the manuel several times and I just don't get it. I would like each can/color to function individually. It does not matter thus far if I have it set at 2x8, 8x8 , or 1x16. Only channel sliders/dimmers 5-8 work. Please help!!!

Thanks in advance! John

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.